Painting my grill?

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by jeepchic79, Apr 13, 2021.

1. jeepchic79

jeepchic79 Full Access Member

So my silver kj has a chrome grill which imo is awful because well who puts chrome with Silver? Maby it's me so can I paint that thing or will it chip and look horrible? Because I will just buy one if it's going to look like trash lol

kmitch likes this.
  2. David13

David13 Full Access Member

I don't think paint will stick to chrome much. So you'll have to buff or grind it.

Have you searched for replacement grills? Did some of the other models have a non chrome grill. If so, junkyard for one of the others, which would be cheap and just bolt in the same way.

Also, after market. Online search. I don't know if there are any out there.

Or rattle can. But rattle can usually looks like rattle can, but ...
    dc

3. jeepchic79

Well I can buy a flat black one probably less hassle I do need the under housing anyways too . Just debating if I want black or another color

4. duderz7

duderz7 Full Access Member

Find someone who wants a chrome grill and ask them to swap. You could do it on the spot wherever you find them, I don't think it requires any tools.

5. jeepchic79

That's a great idea! Mine just snaps a little bit of a pain in the a** I use a flathead screwdriver and hope every time lol

6. WheelNut

WheelNut New Member

Swapping is a great suggestion. That'll save you a ton of time if you can find someone. Or just buy a silver grille from a junkyard. Doing a proper paint job will be 6-10 hours of work. I painted the chrome grille on my BMW last year and it has been holding up well, but it did require a lot of work. Prep the plasti-chrome to remove all the gloss, prime it, lay down the colour, clear it with a 2-3 coats of clear, and then let it sit off the vehicle for at least 2 days to harden up. Adding up all the drying time and such it actually took a lot longer than I expected, but the result was very good. Getting all the supplies will certainly cost as much or more than a silver grille from the junkyard.

7. MarksmanAkula

MarksmanAkula Akula

Ive got a jet black Liberty that came with the black grill. I swapped it out for a chrome grill. still have the black one.

8. nohitter64

nohitter64 Full Access Member

I just went through this with my Khaki '06. The grille was so old and brittle some road ice shattered portion around the passenger headlight...even damaged the support. As a daily driver I needed to fix it quickly and cheaply. Ordered both pieces from Partsgeek.com. Expecting a 7-10 shipping timeline but they were on my doorstep within 24 hours! Aftermarket so they were not perfect fit but only noticeable to me. I went with Herculiner I had lying around and it is holding up fine. Rockauto has the painted grilles for twice what you pay for unpainted...but considering time and labor, may be worth it.