Paint with texture, but not sandpaper/griptape texture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is not just for my KJ but some other projects too... but I figured you guys would be the ones to ask about this particular idea I have in mind...

I have done stuff with the Rustoleum Professional bedliner aerosol, which comes out really nice looking. Really easy on the eyes and just the right sheen. Not glossy but not dead flat black either.

My only complaint is, this stuff has the texture of sandpaper and that is fine for most things... but when you get it dirty/muddy man o man some of the grit like creek silt seems to stay down in the grit of the finish and just don't clean up good. Looks perfectly clean when you are done washing. But when you come back later after it has dried it looks like knocked the worst off it with a hose and called it a day.

So I am trying to come up with some ideas for offroad parts, wheels and so forth, where I could get the same look and some texture without the sandpaper texture?

I have thought about just contacting rustoleum to see if they have a satin black I can top coat the bedliner with so I can keep the color and the texture, but make it a little slicker, less sandpaper feeling and maybe fill some of the little pits that grime stays in, or maybe it will just wash out better.

What do you guys think about this? What do you guys use?

Needs to be tough, have some texture so it's easy to touch up and hide it.

Wrinkle paint? Hammered paint? Are there any epoxy paints with texture? I see VHT has a satin black epoxy but it seems like it would be a smooth coat.

I know if I don't say something this is likely to go out of control with people recommending textured, hammered, spattered, orange peel POWDER COAT. That texture without the sandpaper feel is indeed what I want to achieve. But it is just not a sensible solution for this. Already have exactly this. Scrape it on a rock or have some rocks roosted into it and powder still scratches, chips and wears. Not practical because then the part has to be stripped and re-powdered.

Need something I can do and touch up at home. The bedliner stuff is great in this respect. You can make some pretty good scars just disappear no problem. The ****** is trying to clean it up.

Reaction score
Well this is not just for my KJ but some other projects too... but I figured you guys would be the ones to ask about this particular idea I have in mind...

I have done stuff with the Rustoleum Professional bedliner aerosol, which comes out really nice looking. Really easy on the eyes and just the right sheen. Not glossy but not dead flat black either.

My only complaint is, this stuff has the texture of sandpaper and that is fine for most things... but when you get it dirty/muddy man o man some of the grit like creek silt seems to stay down in the grit of the finish and just don't clean up good. Looks perfectly clean when you are done washing. But when you come back later after it has dried it looks like knocked the worst off it with a hose and called it a day.

So I am trying to come up with some ideas for offroad parts, wheels and so forth, where I could get the same look and some texture without the sandpaper texture?

I have thought about just contacting rustoleum to see if they have a satin black I can top coat the bedliner with so I can keep the color and the texture, but make it a little slicker, less sandpaper feeling and maybe fill some of the little pits that grime stays in, or maybe it will just wash out better.

What do you guys think about this? What do you guys use?

Needs to be tough, have some texture so it's easy to touch up and hide it.

Wrinkle paint? Hammered paint? Are there any epoxy paints with texture? I see VHT has a satin black epoxy but it seems like it would be a smooth coat.

I know if I don't say something this is likely to go out of control with people recommending textured, hammered, spattered, orange peel POWDER COAT. That texture without the sandpaper feel is indeed what I want to achieve. But it is just not a sensible solution for this. Already have exactly this. Scrape it on a rock or have some rocks roosted into it and powder still scratches, chips and wears. Not practical because then the part has to be stripped and re-powdered.

Need something I can do and touch up at home. The bedliner stuff is great in this respect. You can make some pretty good scars just disappear no problem. The ****** is trying to clean it up.

You could look into "Raptor Liner". Ive used it here at work before to paint some of our industrial cabinets. Its basically another form of bedliner, but like you said may be too aggressive for your use.

I know this summer I'm taking the bumpers off my truck and hitting them with a few coats of the stuff.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Use Hammertone paint
I've used it on rock rails, bumpers, skids etc and it holds up great, always looks good, easy to touch up
Most of that others you do not want to paint wheels etc with it
any of them would be hard to clean
I made the mistake of doing my front and rear steel bumpers on the 03 thinking I wanted them a bit rougher finish, hate it now, never looks clean
Got the rear bumper on the 03 really clean, scrubbed it off good the other day and used hammer tone on it, looks way better now

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is supposedly a matte hammer paint. I am going to buy a can of that if I can find it and find some piece of junk to try it on.

I have only ever seen it in gloss before. I have a tall dining table and the chairs for it are like bar stools with backs. They have a dark chocolate gloss hammer finish and it is tough as nails. I wouldn't hesitate a bit for that to be on rock rails or step tubes. We have been stepping on the stool tubes for years and years. They have been bashed, knocked over, moved several times, and all 3 of my kids have beat the crap out of them with whatever they had their hands on growing up.

If I can get this stuff in low gloss that isn't dead flat, that's what I think I will try. The finish on these stools don't trap dirt at all. And if I ever had to touch them up, there is enough texture I think it would blend away just fine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.