Paint plastic hood louvers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a special way or do you just sand it down, throw on some primer and bedline/paint?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Does anyone have a special way or do you just sand it down, throw on some primer and bedline/paint?

Correct, sand them until the surface has had the sheen/shine knocked down,
then clean with a silicone wax/polish remover or lacquer thinner.
Let dry then primer (Multiple light coats until completely covered)
Then spray with paint. Again, multiple light coats until completely covered.
Allow to dry and repeat with at least 3 coats of paint for best results.
Then allow to fully dry for a couple of days before installing the finished product.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One is ready for primer and paint the other will be in about 40 more min :) Going Bedliner on them...we will see how they turn out. At least it is hot and dry here so it should dry pretty quick. :)

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any pictures?

Still working on the texture. One dries one way and the other a different. I put another light coat and it all seems to go to hell. LOL. The primer I am using is per a off-roader here in town, it is undercoating and then a top layer of bedliner. Still working on the undercoating. I did a few coats on Sat and Sun and will look at them again, I think tonight. As soon as I get the paint on them I will post a pic. Than of course once I install them. Should be installed within a week or two. This weekend I have some range time so not sure how much I will get done:shrug:.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The freaking things are still wet from Saturday! Even in my 118 degree garage...hmmm a few more days perhaps and I can move them enough to take pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went into the garage yesterday and they were still WET! So, I took them outside to back in the wonderful Vegas sun...Oddly enough the coating got softer and wetter. When I touched it the paint came off onto my finger so, back into the garage and out came the mineral spirits. I striped the finish off since it was not going to work and sprayed them with a different liner. Now they are looking good and are dry! I will take a picture here in a moment and load it for you guys. It is a Rustolium Bed-liner spray. The texture is not massive like a herculiner or line x but it looks professional IMHO. It looks more like a textured plastic which is kind of what I was going for.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Here us a photo. Going to install rear lift and possibly cut today. We will see have not eaten anything just yet. Lol. And it is only 95 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk