Paint chipped and tiny rust on the hood!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the hood, just where it meets the release towards the front end grill there is a tiny chip. It has completely come off. I can see the layers of paint and finally the metal itself on the hood. It is the size of a pencil head, a bit larger due to the shape. As if someone put a long metal there tried to bend the hood open, or it could be a big rock that hit there and chipped the paint. I just noticed it today but it could have been there for a long time.. It could have bubbled and popped as well. Gonna try to take some pix in the weekend.. I felt horrible seeing that.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a pen like sander thingy (can't remember what they called it) but it looked like a pen with a fine abrasive tip that you could use to sand a small stone chip rust spot with. Then you could use touch up paint on it. Your post reminded me of it and I looked and can't find the one I had. Sorry I can't be of any better help.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's OK. I know what you mean, it's been ages since I have seen those things last. I wonder what they are called. You really can't see it, so touch up paint won't do much, unless that Mopar one is thick enough to fill the gap.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would of been good if you could of gotten some touch up paint for your jeep from a dealership then used a tooth-pick to put the touch up paint right where you need it..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
tomorrow i am going down there for the check engine light + oil change + for them to check brakes and have them reflash ******, i will pick up if they have them in stock.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's OK. I know what you mean, it's been ages since I have seen those things last. I wonder what they are called. You really can't see it, so touch up paint won't do much, unless that Mopar one is thick enough to fill the gap.
Wallmart sometimes has them,that's where I've seen them before.3M makes it and if I remember right they just call them a sanding pen.Look in the automotice section by the paint,bondo,and sand paper area.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a tube of mopar paint for $10.
Do I have to put some paste before the touch up? I don't think it is going to fill it up.
I am going to use the pen on a few other places. I think it has pen end and brush end inside. So I can use brush for the hood and pen for the door scratches from the keychain and door bangs, etc.

I am planning to get 1600 or 2000 sandpaper and slightly sand the marks off the bumper (a lot of them, damn parking spaces in NYC) follow up by the compound and wax (both turtle).
Any suggestions? Or I should not even do any sanding, instead go with black wax or whatever it was. The scratches are not too deep, but somehow ugly looking. Also the front bumper, right in front of the grille, that place looks pretty dull and ugly :(

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on sanding the scratches with 1600-2000 grit sand paper you will need to buff(mechanical buffer,hand buffing will not do it) the sanded areas with rubbing compound,wax alone will not do it.Filling in paint chips and scratches with touch will not be perfect,you will tell where it was done.Touching up the paint just prevents corrosion.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks for the info tjkj, I guess that's what I see on the cars with paint being there, but looking pretty uneven and ugly.
I got info from the dealer of a recommended bodyshop/paint guy, I would have to check with him and get everything done at one shot. I am still doing the touch up on the hood, though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images