PAGING BENNETT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've been getting alot of "connection timed out while attempting www.jeepkj.com" lately. Know what the deal might be?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
hmm thats strange, what type of internet connection do you have currently?

Thanks,
Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Does it happen when browsing with one window, or do you have multiple windows going at the same time?

Thanks
Bennett

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I've been downloading quite a bit of stuff lately so that could have been the issue.

When I leave tommorow night till Jan 5th, if it times out let me know. If it doesn't, that means I need to download less stuff...

Bennett

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
well, i happened just now, and i was only browsing one site..(this)

i'll keep tabs if it occurs while ur away

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same error several times today...i chock it up to increased internet usage by the brats during the holidays...

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
been getting that message everynow and then from the beginning...
doesnt matter if it's day time or now....

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok obviously it isn't bandwidth, since it happens with traffic or no traffic.

That's a good thing cause that can get expensive.

SO this leads me to believe a couple things:

A.) Server underpowered, not processor wise, but memory wise. SO I will put an order in for more memory. Cause right now it's really digging good into virtual memory.

B.) HTTP webserver, maybe I should switch from IIS 5 to Apache- But first I will see if the memory makes a difference

Lastly, if it's still an issue I move it to my offsite server (work \:D/ ) and run it there, T3 connection, and better servers.

Bennett

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
u have 512 running right now?
yeh, test it out more RAM first..could be it....
tho, IIS could be suspect too (m$........nuff said...LOL) apache could be more stable

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
yeah 512.

I was lookin at the ISS control panel and the connection timeout is set at 900 seconds. Shouldn't that be lower?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hm..
900 seconds?

thats about every 15 minutes...now that i think about it, that sounds about right....i'll keep more of a note, between when the messages appear..

do u have keep alives enabled?

found this interesting bit..

nMinutes
Specifies the number of minutes that a session can remain idle before the server terminates it automatically. The default is 10 minutes. Session.Timeout has no hard-coded limit. Most Web administrators set this property to 8 minutes. It should not be set higher than 20 minutes (except in special cases) because every open session is holding onto memory. It should also not be set lower than 4 minutes because clients rarely respond within that time resulting in a loss of session state.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_sesoptime.asp

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
SiLveRLiB2k2 said:
hm..
900 seconds?

thats about every 15 minutes...now that i think about it, that sounds about right....i'll keep more of a note, between when the messages appear..

do u have keep alives enabled?

found this interesting bit..
nMinutes
Specifies the number of minutes that a session can remain idle before the server terminates it automatically. The default is 10 minutes. Session.Timeout has no hard-coded limit. Most Web administrators set this property to 8 minutes. It should not be set higher than 20 minutes (except in special cases) because every open session is holding onto memory. It should also not be set lower than 4 minutes because clients rarely respond within that time resulting in a loss of session state.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_sesoptime.asp

yup keep alive are on. I am thinking it might be better to reduce the session time out, since I think the timer resets after every click you make.

I'm gonna go read up on it.

Bennett

2003KJ

Reaction score
It happens for me with more than one browser open (i'm running Firefox), and with just this one. Also, Internet connectiion is Road Runner, speed is up around 2800-3000....not too bad for cable :-k

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
It happens for me with more than one browser open (i'm running Firefox), and with just this one. Also, Internet connectiion is Road Runner, speed is up around 2800-3000....not too bad for cable :-k

heh, i have the same thing...RR using Firefox, PR 1...(gotta get the actual no PR version)...
havnt tested connection speeds in ages, but i suspect it's in and around the same...(last time i checked it was about a lil over 3.4 or 3400, but that was when i first got RR, which was 2 or so years ago)

[edit]
just did a test....2650 down, 285 up...alright for this time of the day...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Just did mine, up around 2950...not too bad. I've had RR for about 4 years now.

That's impressive. The most I have had is about 2300 download (cable).