P2097...Scan Tools are Fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife's ABS, Brake, and CEL went off. Car is driving fine however. So I went an invested in a scan tool, was able to get $10 off plus 20% plus my $5 coupon from Advance Auto so worth the purchase. The ABS is the rear sensor, this is the second time it has gone off after trying to cleanup the connection so I'm thinking it's time to replace.

The P2097 for the O2 sensor had me doing some research, I did not know there were 4 O2 sensors on this car, according to what I found there are two cats (one per side) and a sensor before and after on each.

My questions are;

1) Should I just replace the ABS sensor on the differential and be done with it?

2) Should I replace ALL the O2 sensors or just the one throwing the code (post cat on drivers side, bank 1)?

You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to break your bubble but that is just a simple code puller.

The P2097 code can be many things but without a actual scanner to see real time live data of what the O2 sensors are doing it's a guessing game.You may or may not fix the issue by just replacing the O2 sensor.

If you have higher miles(100k+) it's best to replace all the O2 sensors when 1 fails as the other 3 might be close to failing also.Remember use only NTK O2 sensors.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NTK, yeah I didn't need a very pricey one but this at least gives me an idea of what I'm potentially dealing with (i.e. leave it home to fix or drive it). Also lets me clear the codes as it could be a fault from running rich or whatever. Figured for the cost just replace all 4.

Also for the ABS sensor, stick with a MOPAR unit or is there another brand (BOSCH) that will work just fine. Prices on RA range from $15-45

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I got that code last summer and just the one 02 sensor fixed it.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NTK, yeah I didn't need a very pricey one but this at least gives me an idea of what I'm potentially dealing with (i.e. leave it home to fix or drive it). Also lets me clear the codes as it could be a fault from running rich or whatever. Figured for the cost just replace all 4.

Also for the ABS sensor, stick with a MOPAR unit or is there another brand (BOSCH) that will work just fine. Prices on RA range from $15-45

He's not trying to be rude, just stating that there's a vast difference between a code reader and a scan tool.

For the abs sensor..just spend the extra dough and get a mopar..if need be, you can get it online though a site such as moparpartsoverstock and probably get a decent price (though I miss their free shipping...)
I replaced mine with a lifetime warranty duralast one...which went bad in 6 months.

As for the 02 sensors..that's how they work..one upstream and one downstream from the cats..so any vehicle which has 2 cats (alot...if not most), will have 4 02 sensors.
As tjkj stated, NGK only..and getting it hooked up to a real scan tool would be essential in doing this the most cost productive way..as you could replace all 4, just to find out its a clogged injector, exhaust leak..etc.
Many cars will actually throw a p2097 code for an exhaust manifold leak...

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an OBDII bluetooth connector on eBay/Amazon for around $15. Spend another $5 on a decent smartphone scanner app (Torque for example), and you have a pretty good scanner for less money than what you probably spent on that code reader.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That code does not necessarily mean that the O2 sensor is faulty. Just because that is the sensor that is setting the fault doesn't mean it's bad- it may be actually doing its job and telling you that there is a fuel trim rich condition on that bank after the catalyst... i.e, injector stuck open (can happen often enough to set the code but not affect drivability), exhaust leak as was mentioned, a bunch of other reasons.

Just consider that if it reappears after replacing the O2 sensor.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone. I truly did not mean to come off rude in that reply, was just excited to finally have a way to at least identify what the heck the light could be on for understanding that 2097 could be a lot of things. For $25 it's worth to replace that sensor and see what happens down the road, so far about 50 miles with the light off and it has not come back.

For the ABS I did get a MOPAR, it was $30 from RA. Dealer wanted $47 and I almost laughed myself off the phone. One quick question on that clip, I pulled the purple tab back but could not get the connector to pop off, am I missing some simple step or once the tab is popped it should pull off and may just be stuck?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The safety locking tab?
There should be another tab to push down before you can pull the connector out.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The safety locking tab?
There should be another tab to push down before you can pull the connector out.

Yeah the locking tab comes out easily enough but pushing down on the connector does not allow it to slide making me feel as if I may break it. I'm wondering if the smart thing to do is remove the sensor then disconnect.

I cancelled my order from RA and went with Amazon, RA had not even shipped yet and said Monday for delivery, Amazon will be here Friday.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the connector on the ABS module??

Doesn't matter what comes off first. Should just slide off or use a tool to slowly pry it off.

There's a rubber grommet on the wiring through the fender to the engine bay, you may have to remove if for your replacement.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the connector on the ABS module??

Doesn't matter what comes off first. Should just slide off or use a tool to slowly pry it off.

There's a rubber grommet on the wiring through the fender to the engine bay, you may have to remove if for your replacement.

For the rear? This is the one on top of the rear differential, I did try a small flathead but felt it was bending the plastic to much.

capecodbob

Reaction score
Replaced my post O2 sensor bank 1 and check engine light went away after a few days and has not come back . I have 3 more if I need them NTK's

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The demon is back, this same code has popped twice in the last couple of weeks. It still says Bank 1 but could it be another sensor in the group and not the one I replaced?

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The demon is back, this same code has popped twice in the last couple of weeks. It still says Bank 1 but could it be another sensor in the group and not the one I replaced?

That code can be caused by vacuum issues or exhaust leaks as well.

It can be a real pain to diagnose. For a while, whenever I would drive to Colorado (about 2,000 ft less in elevation than here), that code would pop up. Back to Wyoming, and the code would be gone :emotions34:. Happened about 6-7 times, so I'm sure it wasn't just a coincidence. I'm still not sure what exactly caused that, but it hasn't happened anymore lately.

Latest posts

Members online