P1491 code - stumped what to do next.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surreyman

Reaction score
Have a 2003 Liberty Sport V6 4x4 with 80K miles. The CEL came on with a code of P1491. No other codes coming up.
The fuse looks good. Battery is charged and alternator working properly. Radiator fan comes on when the AC is on so I know the fan is working. I have changed the radiator fan relay and erased the code with my OBD tool but I still see the CEL coming on after driving about 1/2 mile and get the P1491 code coming up. I have also searched the web and I am at a loss at what to do next. Any help would be most appreciated.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2003 Liberty Sport V6 4x4 with 80K miles. The CEL came on with a code of P1491. No other codes coming up.
The fuse looks good. Battery is charged and alternator working properly. Radiator fan comes on when the AC is on so I know the fan is working. I have changed the radiator fan relay and erased the code with my OBD tool but I still see the CEL coming on after driving about 1/2 mile and get the P1491 code coming up. I have also searched the web and I am at a loss at what to do next. Any help would be most appreciated.
There are 2 fan relay's. A high speed and a low speed. Assume that your 03 has a 2 speed fan like my 05.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you got the updated relay from the dealership I'd suspect a bad fan relay.Common for the connector to melt some also causing this issue.

There are 2 fan relay's. A high speed and a low speed. Assume that your 03 has a 2 speed fan like my 05.

The 2 speed e-fan did not appear in KJ's till late '04 models.

surreyman

Reaction score
I do not think that I have a 2 speed fan. Connectors do not appear to have melted. I replaced the radiator fan relay with a SMP ry-448 relay. Could this P1491 code issue be due to a coolant system temperature sensor issue?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think that I have a 2 speed fan. Connectors do not appear to have melted. I replaced the radiator fan relay with a SMP ry-448 relay. Could this P1491 code issue be due to a coolant system temperature sensor issue?

P1491 is pretty specific for the relay for Chryslers. I'd be suspicious of that Standard relay. I went with a Mopar when mine went (back when I had my 02). Never had a problem.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can also be tripped from what I've read and watched by a low voltage drop. Can happen when the fan first kicks on and drops the voltage below 11.5 volts. Could be voltage regulator in the PCM. Weak altanator, or the fan could be going out and take more volts to get it to turn on.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can also be tripped from what I've read and watched by a low voltage drop. Can happen when the fan first kicks on and drops the voltage below 11.5 volts. Could be voltage regulator in the PCM. Weak altanator, or the fan could be going out and take more volts to get it to turn on.

Interesting... I hope the OP sees that. I believe they indicated a possible alternator issue on a different forum.

Latest posts

Members online