P0740 ****** code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my first went at 168K and this one started to have issues at 180k(came used with 40k). at 150k its a matter of time before something else goes. ya might as well look into replacing clutch packs, convertor, etc...

see if ya can get a cold and hot pressure test done to check the pump.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
dont know anything bout the procedure...

That's fine lol.

Do you have your KJ back yet? I think I will get mine in for a pressure test within the next few weeks. Keep us posted if this fixes it. Was your pump replaced with the rebuild? Or did they use the wrong one?

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liberty is still at the shop waiting for the replacement valve body to come in. with the original rebuild they didnt replace the pump which i can only guess because it didnt show any signs of wear or is passing pressure test.

i guess its not really a right vs wrong pump, its more of a how worn is the pump and does it need to be replaced. and like everything else one person will say it this and another will say its that.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
42 RLE is known to be the crappiest box Chrysler ever built at one point they even bought vehicles back off ppl. Mine went at 180000 km shuddering and throwing codes tc was replaced but now it has trouble locking in 3rd gear solenoid and valve body is fubared getting it rebuilt

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to do the quick learn on the 42RLE just drive it easy for a couple of weeks

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update... its still at the shop. been waiting 2 weeks for cascade transmission to get back to me (place i ordered, not shop). lack of customer service is disturbing. i get people can be busy but ignore me for 2 weeks? nope... so i went to sonnax directly. no record of this guy contacting them about a return. sonnax was VERY helpful and we worked something out. fingers crossed.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The shop diagnosed it and they said the TC is falling apart. They found some clutch pieces in the pan and found an over heat code in the trans.
The CVIs came back ok, except for the OD clutch which was high. They also did a pump test and they said the pump is working fine. They're recommending a full rebuild.
They're an authorized Jeep transmission dealer, one from Jeep is $4400 installed, 2 year/24k mile warrenty. If they rebuild the current one and do some upgrades (I'm not sure what that means), it's $2850, 3 year/100k warranty. A used one would be $1800-2200, with some type of warranty depending on the unit.

Do any of these options sound reasonable? Or should I keep looking? Also, would I have the 2 wire or 3 wire 42RLE? Looks like there's a difference.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We know a guy that rebuilds transmissions down near Kankakee, IL - he does awesome work. He's the one that did Eugene's when it had similar issues - it's been great ever since. Rebuild was approx $1000. We did the removal and installation ourselves.

If you want his info, let me know. I know it's a bit far for you, but... :shrug:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I could make it down that way fairly easily...worth it if it saves quite a bit.Although I don't think I have the time or skills to take the trans out myself. Would he be able to work with the whole Jeep?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rebuild price seems high to me compared to prices around here - but that could be the going rate in your area.

If the CVI is out of spec on the OD clutch then it's "partner" gear (can't remember which one is paired with OD) won't be far behind. Definitely time for a rebuild, though you can just keep driving it until it finally gives up the ghost. But you could be anywhere when it goes and that may not be pleasant.

I like Jayme's idea - take it to her contact. Just remove and install it in Jayme's driveway and then head home. :happy175::happy175::happy175:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just picked it up and got some more details.

The rebuild they would do for $2900 includes upgrades to fix design flaws, like replacing some gaskets with steel plates, upgrading accumulator springs and valve body upgrades. Is that worth it?

They also said they could put in a 44k mile used one for $2400.

These prices do seem kind of high, I was expecting to be under $2000.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what did they say was wrong with it? my is turning into a headache and i now wish i just went with the reman.

$2900 for rebuild id say get a reman which should be anywhere from $2800 to $3500 depending on brand, who is installing it, and warranty.

$2400 for a used seems too high. i paid i think either $1400 or $1800 with labor for a used at 40K.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
TC clutch is falling apart. OD clutch is worn badly.

I'm going to keep looking around. How much of the cost is labor usually?

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the regret is coming from is the whole valve body thing. i just sent it back for replacement or repairs. going to be at least 2 more weeks before i get my liberty back.

rebuild was either 12 or 13 hours so about $1200 for labor.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATS do a remanufactured 42RLE better stronger internals they are around the $4000 shipped to Australian with currency conversion should be way cheaper over in the US

Members online

No members online now.