P0501 on 2005 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tarkhan

Reaction score
Hello, My liberty shows check engine with P0501 code, the speedometer and the odometer aren't working. I know it's related to a sensor but I can't define which sensor exactly. Anyone can help?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, My liberty shows check engine with P0501 code, the speedometer and the odometer aren't working. I know it's related to a sensor but I can't define which sensor exactly. Anyone can help?
Start with the wiring that goes from the sensor in the rear diff up to the body
9 times out of 10 the wiring is broke near body

Tarkhan

Reaction score
Start with the wiring that goes from the sensor in the rear diff up to the body
9 times out of 10 the wiring is broke near body
Thank you
So it's related to the rear diff sensor and its wiring right? it's not a transmission sensors problem, is it?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
No it's not a trans sensor problem.
Follow the speed sensor wiring from top of rear diff upwards looking for broken wire..
You must be registered for see images attach

Tarkhan

Reaction score
No it's not a trans sensor problem.
Check the speed sensor wiring top of rear diff/ connection.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thank you so much. I will check this and see if it solves the problem.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I just added an edit to it..to follow the wire..^^ see post 4 again.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the connector on that Diff Sensor is on firmly.
I had a bad connection there...after fixing it the speedo worked fine but the CEL stayed ON until it cleared itself after driving for a week or two!;)

Do not know what year your KJ is but all 2005 KJs have a TSB that the wrong diff oil was used at time of assembly that chewed up this sensor. Fix was to drain diff oil, clean out diff, replace diff sensor, fill diff with correct oil!

Tarkhan

Reaction score
Check the connector on that Diff Sensor is on firmly.
I had a bad connection there...after fixing it the speedo worked fine but the CEL stayed ON until it cleared itself after driving for a week or two!;)

Do not know what year your KJ is but all 2005 KJs have a TSB that the wrong diff oil was used at time of assembly that chewed up this sensor. Fix was to drain diff oil, clean out diff, replace diff sensor, fill diff with correct oil!

Awesome, will check. thank you

Tarkhan

Reaction score
It was the sensor, I've checked the cable and it was fine so I changed the sensor and it worked. Thank you so much guys!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the sensor, I've checked the cable and it was fine so I changed the sensor and it worked. Thank you so much guys!

Maybe time to drain, clean and re-fill the rear diff if you do not know when this was last done although you would expect this oil to have been replaced since the Jeep was built in 2005!;)

Tarkhan

Reaction score
Maybe time to drain, clean and re-fill the rear diff if you do not know when this was last done although you would expect this oil to have been replaced since the Jeep was built in 2005!;)
That's what I was thinking of I will do next weekend

Latest posts

Members online