P0339 Intermittent Crankshaft Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brendan

Reaction score
Hello
First time on the forum,
2008 jeep liberty Sport 3.7L gas 63,000 km Mileage

My wife was driving down the highway when she said the jeep starting acting strange and died send a picture with red lighting bolt coming on. I got there and the jeep was definitely overheated on the gauge almost in the red. Couldn’t start it back up. Towed it to a mechanic who quickly looked at it and thought maybe it was the fan needed to be replaced and possible some problem with voltage from the fuse box wire connections dirty he said (his reason why it would not start), Suggested I remove at the connectors for the wiring on the fuse box and spray them down with electrical cleaner. At the time I could get the jeep started after a few tries and had to hold the gas and break petal at a any stops to get home. I cleaned all the wires and once disconnected they looked clean to me between the pins and harness

Since then I read the codes with a bluedriver and got the following:

P0335 Cranksaft sensor position A

P0691 Fan 1 Control Circuit Low

I replaced the crankshaft and camshaft sensor (read somewhere that one could be the other for the problem). Tried again to start the jeep and noticed the following strange things.

When I turn the key on the red lightening bolt shows up and takes about ½ minute to go away and the check engine light stays on until finally blinking (maybe that’s normal)

When I turn the key to start the engine if I let go normally it stops cranking but now it will continue to crank for about 10 second on its own unless I turn the key in the off position. It cranks but no RPM’s on the tack. And at the very end it seems like it almost wants to catch and sometimes get a little movement on the tack

Only error now I get now is P0339 Cranksaft sensor A Circuit Intermittent.

I tested the crankshaft plug before the sensor and get the following:

5 volts across pin 3 (4.9 to 5.1 changes a little)
Ground is good back to the negative terminal on the battery (connectivity test)
Pin 1 to the number 35 pin on the PCM harness is good (connectivity test) tried wiggling to make sure
I have a fully charged battery 12.6 volts

If I unplug the crankshaft sensor I can actually get the jeep to start and run by holding the pedal down??

I am wondering if it’s the PCM (ECM not sure which term is correct) hate to order one on ebay that comes programmed if you give them your model and VIN and find out that’s not the problem. Not sure what else to check, possible the cranksaft senor from NAPA was a dud?? ….Any help would be great

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So first off, all the best gurus recommend only mopar sensors.

apparently Jeeps are very picky and non-oem sensors make the engine crazy.

Snip - bad info - not 08’s

this Red Lightening bolt, is it above the fuel gage?
If so, it seems to indicate Electronic Throttle body issues.

here is a thread that talks about ‘red lightening bolt’ and no AC, but goes into detail about the electronic controls. An issue with 07 3.7 engines

have a look:

https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/red-...n-i-turned-on-the-ac-what-does-it-mean.59752/

sorry - i see yours is 08 - kk. My bad!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KKs Gassers use a PCM, CRD uses a ECM.

However on the KKs pretty much everything is controlled by the TIPM Module...has the Fuses and Relays plugged into it. This TIPM Module drives everything by means of CAN Serial Busses...impossible to diagnose without proper equipment!:(

Re-plug and test all fuses!

Strange that the ignition key does not spring back home when released from the Run/Start position.....maybe you need to get access to the Ignition Switch itself to see if it is OK...you should be able to rotate the switch manually to see if it springs back OK.

Because of the TIPM complexity I believe that you will probably have to visit a Dealer!:mad:

Brendan

Reaction score
I think a mopar sensor will be the next shot just to rule it out.

The mechanic who looked quickly at it suggest I take all the plugs off the TPIM (the fuse box as I call it) and clean spray the pins. I tried that no change. Also he suggested maybe get another used TPIM box but the pins look ok for the harnesses is is there any hardware in the box or just connectors for fuses and relays etc?

My only error now is p0339 interm. Crankshaft sensor. Would that not mean the PCM is not getting a good signal from the crankshaft sensor ? Or can it be from something past the PCM in line to the TPIM or in the TPIM itself ? I can't believe how much a used TPIM is.

I think I miss lead on the key thing. The key will spring back on its own from start position to the on position , but will still crank for about 10 seconds then stop
When it's like -20 here my wife's hummer will do the same thing and its usually a 50/50 chance it won't start on that try then have to wait about ten minutes before trying again

Thanks for the help guys

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, the 07 KJ and the 08 KK had the same electronic throttle body & other under hood components. That thread about the 07 may still be relevant.

Brendan

Reaction score
Could throttle give me p0339 error for interm CK sensor

When I try to start I can look at real time data from my bluedriver OBD I think last time I saw around 18% when going to start it . But i know nothing about throttle position