P0335 code - what?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

Reaction score
(2005 Liberty sport, 2.4L 4 cylinder gas - 6 speed manual transmission 85,000 miles on odometer)

bear with me, this is a long one - I want to describe what lead up to the issue I'm having.

our Liberty has had a miss to it and a lack of power on acceleration since we bought it about 6 months ago , the engine would develop a nasty miss when you gave it any throttle, but it never threw any codes, just had a bad miss, so a few weeks ago I changed out the crank position and cam timing sensors. (I bought those sensors off ebay, dirt cheap, something like 20 bucks each) it ran worse when I put those new sensors in it, the miss got terrible to the point that it wouldn't want to accelerate at all, it would idle fine, but wouldn't accelerate, it would just die out, this time the check engine light came on but at that moment I did't have my code reader with me to see what the code was it was throwing (more on that later)

at that point, I thought that maybe I had bought a bad cam timing sensor, so I put the old one back in it, reset the computer, and it ran fine, except for a slight miss that I felt like was probably the spark plugs.

our Liberty has been running fine for the past few weeks except for that intermittent miss that I associated with the spark plugs, so about 2 weeks ago, I put new plugs in it and the miss went away and it's been running fine.

ok, up to this point, I have new plugs, new crank sensor (I bought off ebay dirt cheap) but I'm still using the old cam position sensor.

the weather started getting hot here in Oregon over the weekend and Saturday while we were out with our Liberty that check engine light came on, (again I don't have my code reader with me) the car died, got it started again, ran like crap, I nursed it off the highway into a parking lot, disconnected the battery, reset the computer (which clears the codes), then fired it up and it ran fine the rest of the 20 mile trip home, drove it Sunday with no issues, (now I have the code reader with me, but now it's running fine, go figure) my wife took it to work (30 miles away) on Monday and it did fine, got off work when the weather was way hot, and it did it again, she pulled over and reset the computer, did this 3 times trying to get it home, the third time she couldn't get the check engine light off, so she nursed it up someones driveway and (with their permission) left it there.

so at this point, I'm thinking, that the only new part I have in the car is that crank position sensor and it didn't start running this bad until after I put that sensor in it - (remember, the cam timing sensor up to this point is still the original) so in my head I'm thinking maybe that dirt cheap sensor I bought off ebay was a bad idea ....

I showed up at the Jeep with my code reader and checked it - it's spitting out P0335 .... the crank position sensor.

seems like it's an intermittent problem because you can reset the computer and it will run fine for a little bit, then boom! ...it trips the check engine light again and everything goes to pot.

as of this point, the car has been sitting for 24 hours with the battery disconnected, so I'm going to hook it back up, hope the code is gone, and see if I can nurse it that last mile to my house.

if I can get it home, I am then going to go to the dealer and buy a crank sensor (which I'm showing two parts numbers for with two different prices, one 80 bucks and the other one is 45 bucks) both of they say they are for my 2005 Liberty with the 2.4L powertech engine.

so which one is it? 056041552AD or 05269873AD?

I'll keep you posted - this is driving me nuts.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use avondalewholesaleparts.com for your mopar orders

should be 56041552AD, the 2nd part number has no hit.

You have to use mopar sensors, aftermarkets are no good.

I would change both CPS and CKS at the same time.

Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
I just got the car home, I hooked up the battery and it drove fine, but it was only a mile from home.

I'm going to go to the dealer to get the part because I don't have time to mail order it, my wife is driving a loaner car at the moment and we only have the loaner car for the week, so I need the jeep fixed by this weekend.

I printed up your part number responses and am headed for the dealer to get parts, I also have the vin number, I'll show all this to the parts guy and hopefully I get the right part.

when I look the VIN number up through the dealer, it shows the Jeep having a 5 speed manual transmission, when it actually has a 6 speed manual, although I don't think that makes any difference, the rest of the information is correct.

update - I'm back from the dealer, they used the VIN to look up the part, it looks like it's 05269873AB, $63.75, going to go install it now, by the way, all the data I've found online about the location of the crankshaft position sensor says it's on the right side of the engine behind the oil filter and in front of the motor mount .... not on my car it wasn't, I found it located on the left side below the starter.

Attachments

• DSCN0082.jpg
    DSCN0082.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0084.jpg
    DSCN0084.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0085.jpg
    DSCN0085.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0089.jpg
    DSCN0089.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Gramps

Reaction score
I got the new sensor in it, is there any special reset procedures I should know about other then resetting the computer before I hook the battery back up and test drive it?

Gramps

Reaction score
totally weird, I test drove the jeep, it drove fine, ran fine, but while I was test driving it, the part time light came on, at first I thought it was stuck in 4 high, but it's just the light, as long as the lever is in 2 hi, it's in 2WD with the "part time" light on, stick it in 4Hi and the part time light goes out, but it's definitely in 4WD.

Attachments

• DSCN0095.jpg
    DSCN0095.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 3

Gramps

Reaction score
not sure what I did to cause that - I put it in 4 low when I drove it up on the ramps to work on it, then disconnected the battery, when I was done fixing it, I got in the car, put it back in 2Hi, then reconnected the battery, so did I blow a sensor or solenoid or something? I know it's not in 4WD because in 4WD you can turn the wheels sharp and it will bind up on pavement, this isn't binding until you put the lever in 4Hi, then it binds, and the light is off, put it in 2Hi, the light comes on, but no binding, so it ain't in 4WD

I'll do some google searching and see what I can find, maybe I'm going to be changing out another sensor? or a solenoid or something?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Transfer Case position sensor going bad is a common issue, so if you can live with the light you don't need to worry about it. If I may ask, I'd like to see a shot of your gear stick with the gear pattern.

Gramps

Reaction score
I'd like to see a shot of your gear stick with the gear pattern.

I'll take a pic of it tomorrow, but here's what it is - (see pic)

6th and reverse are real close together, I don't particularly care for it, it would be real easy to slam in into reverse when trying to go into 6th, and I hear that's a common problem, there's a stop gate or somethign like that that you can hit, and it bends it up which causes the transmission to not want to stay in reverse after that gate (or what ever it is) gets damaged.

it also has a hard time (or had a hard time) shifting into 5th, 6th, and didn't like to go into reverse at all when cold, when I had the clutch replaced a few months ago, I also had them change the oil in the ****** and put in what others call "Sprigs secret sauce" from another jeep forum, it's a mix of synthetic 10-30, and synthetic ATF, all mobile 1.

that stopped the hard shifting, and the not wanting to go in reverse, the transmission shifts fine now.

Attachments

• jeep ******.jpg
    jeep ******.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 6

Gramps

Reaction score
I saw that, thanks, that light kinda had me psyched out, I did some google searching and read a few different "fixes" for it, tried a few last night and nothing worked, I'm going to mess with it again today and see if I can get it to go out, if it stays on, I guess I'm not going to worry about it, I'll get another switch for it when I can afford it, I looked up the part number on ebay and saw one for about 56 bucks, I think it's part number 5083138AA, is that going to be another one of those "get a mopar switch" kinda things like the crank sensor switch was? I don't want to go through that after market crap again like I did with that crank sensor.

I found a "how to" right here in this forum - makes changing out that sensor a cake walk - http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-transfer-case-position-switch-44188/

Last edited: