P0299 won't go away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racecarricky

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to clear a P0299? In January the boost pressure sensor was replaced and the codes all went away until now. We have since replaced the EGR valve, done some software upgrade, fuel filter changed, air filter changed, checked all the hoses and tightened them and the code keeps coming back. Can't clear seem to clear it and have run out of ideas.

Last edited:

racecarricky

Reaction score
It has been at the dealer all day today supposedly they took the turbo off cleaned all the carbon out of it, replaced the EGR valve again as it just had this done 6 days ago, and replaced the boost pressure sensor, and cleared the computer. Go to pick it up tonight don't even get out of the parking lot and the light is back on. Now it is another day at the dealership to see if they can figure out what the hell is wrong with it.

I been told to look for a vaccum leak, as the turbo is controlled by a boost pressure control solenoid that operates how much vacuum is applied to the turbo to control the boost. We will suggest this to the dealer and see what they say.

The thing is being traded in on friday I just need the code cleared to hand it over.

Last edited:

racecarricky

Reaction score
After day 2 at the dealership I think the code might be gone or they reprogrammed the computer to ignore the code. It has been there all day and they replaced the EGR valve again, gasket, t/body, boost sensor, and boost control vent valve, plus reprogramming of the computer.

At least the light is out for now.:)

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have done a vacuum check across the regulator with a manual guage while monitoring engine parameters with the DRBIII\STARSCAN - solenoid valves don't last forever - pwm solenoids even less

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat here. I have done a physical check of the turbo hoses etc, GDE tune and I am plagued by the p0299. After reading this I think the boost solenoid must be my problem too. When mine engine is cold, it will turn the CEL on with a p0299. When warm, I have boost to roast the tires. I started the engine cold and no vacuum to the turbo actuator. When warn, over 120F, I get vacuum to the turbo and all is well. Is the BCV temp sensitive? I've noticed that the part with the 3 hoses and the atmospheric vent is warm after being on for several minutes. Guidance needed. Thanks

Gary

Mrgreen6

Reaction score
Did anyone get this figured out.

Has anyone figured out the problem for this. Seems like all these older threads never post solutions. Need help on what the problem was. Any advice would be good

I'm in the same boat here. I have done a physical check of the turbo hoses etc, GDE tune and I am plagued by the p0299. After reading this I think the boost solenoid must be my problem too. When mine engine is cold, it will turn the CEL on with a p0299. When warm, I have boost to roast the tires. I started the engine cold and no vacuum to the turbo actuator. When warn, over 120F, I get vacuum to the turbo and all is well. Is the BCV temp sensitive? I've noticed that the part with the 3 hoses and the atmospheric vent is warm after being on for several minutes. Guidance needed. Thanks

Gary

Smacker

Reaction score
P0299 use to plague me! Found I was not running the lil tractor hard enough. Easy cure after a good warm up is to "Drive it like you stole it" every chance you get.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
The poor engine thermostat design contributes to the P0299 problem, which is why I am redesigning the thermostat... see the following thread for more info...

Crd engine thermostats

If you want your CRD to run properly, it NEEDS to run hotter than what the OEM thermostat will allow it to run. Unfortunately, Chrysler stealerships only offer 1 temperature thermostat for this vehicle, and there is NO aftermarket products available. Hence, a new thermostat housing must be designed and manufactured to use a commonly available thermostat with higher opening temperatures, (190 - 205 degrees), than what is currently offered at the dealer , (176 degrees).