P0038 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi need a little help. My 2007 KJ has a little over 50k on the odometer and the check engine light is on.

It's throwing code P0038- O2 sensor 1/2 heater circuit high. Attempted to reset the code with the scanner but nogo, there's definately a problem. I have the FSM for my vehicle and read through the diagnostic testing for this code, however was curious about how many of you experienced O2 Sensor failures?

With the holidays fast approaching and a 16 month old in the house I don't have the time or the warm facility to run through all the diagnostics. Besides the o2 sensor is a cheap $26.00.

You guys think replacing o2 sensor will solve the problem?

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a new jeep driver and am definitely no mechanic, but I had a similar code on my 2000 toyota echo a few years ago. I decided I didn't want to do anything about it since it's just the o2 sensor and wasn't really affecting my driving. I let it go for a few months and it ended up messing up my catalytic converter. Still haven't fixed that one.... I just bout a libby instead :party52: seemed like a more logical choice...

Anyway, I know that's not helpful for your specific problem but I thought I'd throw in my less than 2 cents. More like a monopoly penny, but input none the less :shrug:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the 02 sensor is the logical immediate replcement.
Clear the code after the new one is in, and I bet.. you are good to go!
The Jeep knew Christmas was coming..and it was looking for a gift too!:waytogo:

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones input. I climbed under the jeep this morning to replace the Left downstream O2 sensor and I found the culprit. The pigtail wires between the O2 sensor and the connector were worn through the protective sleeve and insulation down to the bear wire.

It looks like it was rubbing on something, but the only thing it could have rubbed on was the front drive shaft.

Anyway, the problem is fixed now and the mil is out.