P0 420 code and oxygen scanner reference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Handwork

Reaction score
The had three codes normal saved and permanent . If I cleared normal code it would run 15 miles. If I cleared normal, saved it would run 110 miles. I found four 20 amp fuses with no power.
I disconnected both wires battery cables. Tied together with wire ties. I let sit all night. and reconnected. It turned power to the fuses. This restored power to the oxygen sensors, I had installed two new front sensors. They worked but not correctly. I then installed a new canister purge valve this got the oxygen sensors working properly l as I got a new scanner with graphing capabilities.and checked. It also dropped the permanent code. I'm going to drive it for a while to check if the code stays off. Has anyone else fixed this code with a canister purge valve.

NavyStore

Reaction score
Never seen this code, but now I'm wondering how often people are having these electrical system glitches. Let us know how your repair works!

gfe kj

Reaction score
The had three codes normal saved and permanent . If I cleared normal code it would run 15 miles. If I cleared normal, saved it would run 110 miles. I found four 20 amp fuses with no power.
I disconnected both wires battery cables. Tied together with wire ties. I let sit all night. and reconnected. It turned power to the fuses. This restored power to the oxygen sensors, I had installed two new front sensors. They worked but not correctly. I then installed a new canister purge valve this got the oxygen sensors working properly l as I got a new scanner with graphing capabilities.and checked. It also dropped the permanent code. I'm going to drive it for a while to check if the code stays off. Has anyone else fixed this code with a canister purge valve.
I have been getting this code for a couple of years. I found out non MOPAR parts don't work well with the MOPAR PCM. I replaced them with Mopar sensors and most of my codes went away. The P 0420 is generic and now I'm told I need a new Cat converter. I will try to "clean" it before making that step.

Richard Handwork

Reaction score
I have been getting this code for a couple of years. I found out non MOPAR parts don't work well with the MOPAR PCM. I replaced them with Mopar sensors and most of my codes went away. The P 0420 is generic and now I'm told I need a new Cat converter. I will try to "clean" it before making that step.
I installed a new canister purge valve and it cured my code P 0420 my fuel air mixture was rich.

Richard Handwork

Reaction score
I have over twice the miles I used to be able to go without setting the code.The reason I tied the battery cables is I installed a rebuilt TIPM this drains a capacitor wich allows the cpu to accept the unit. This allowed the fuses to work for power to the oxygen sensors.

Latest posts

Members online