Oxygen Sensors.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markwithak

Reaction score
SO I have a 2008 Libby and recently it started popping the MIL. Scan tool would show the P0038 as well as the P0052 codes. I can clear the codes and when the vehicle is 'cold' I can get several miles before it comes back but if I try to clear it when it's up to temp it just comes back almost immediately. If I let it go eventually I'll also get the P0032 and the P0058....so all 4 sensors and at times I get a P1128 code.
I loaded up the parts cannon with new NTK sensors and fired point blank an get the same results. So I'd say that the 02 sensors aren't the issue here? Any suggestions as where to look wold be greatly appreciated. I assume that it's an electrical issue so maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can point me in the right direction?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
NTK sensors are the correct sensors to use.
Could it be that you have a plugged catalytic converter?
How many miles are on your Jeep?

Markwithak

Reaction score
She's nearing 100K. I stopped in at my mechanic yesterday and the first thing he mentioned was the cats as well. That might also explain the exhaust smell.
Any suggestions as to which brand makes a decent cat that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing to think about when replacing cats is the cheaper ones do not flow as well as say MOPAR and the more expensive ones
But if that doesn't matter then buy whatever

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
100k is not that high, is the tail pipe black sooty at all?
Does the tailpipe smell of un-burnt fuel ? A properly extremely hot running cat can produce a rotten egg smell.
Using a good temperature gun/type reader, after a highway run, what are the cats temp readings?

What spark plugs do you have installed? Replace them every 35-40K.
Only Correct plugs for KK are NGK ZFR-6F-11 (Gap.043)
Color photos of removed spark plugs burn condition, can tell much & photos would be helpful.

A good snap-on shop scanner in the correct mechanic's hands can see live data, fuel trim, misfires etc and pending or stored codes.
Many have had good success with the less expensive Walker brand of cats with no 02 codes.

Markwithak

Reaction score
That's an affirmative on the exhaust fumes. Haven't checked the temp of the cats though.

Plugs and coils changed recently. Yes, I put in the correct NGKs.

And I'll add that now I'm also getting a P0300 code (Random or Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected) and it's stuttering something fierce at times, usually low RPMs. If I put my foot in it I can get it to clear up.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is not good^ Check fuel pressure at rail.
Did you set the spark plug gaps correctly?
Bad fuel? Use a water remover to be on safe side.

Markwithak

Reaction score
It's not the plugs because this also happened prior to replacing them. That also rules out water in the gas. Yes, I gapped the plugs correctly.