OTIS Overhead Console question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danfr

Reaction score
I just installed an OTIS model console from a 1999 300m in my 2003 Liberty. Everything works except the Trip function? Instead of showing miles or numbers, it only shows -.-
I know it's not a problem with the OTIS, because I put it in my wife's car and the trip function works. Has anyone else had this problem? Does the 2003 liberty have the trip function? Maybe it's a compatibility problem with this older OTIS from a '99 300m?
Any ideas? :-s

Thanks,
Dan

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check This link for some specifics on the OTIS. Here's an excerpt.
If you have a 2001 or higher vehicle and you try to use an OTIS from a 2000 or earlier donor car... the Trip Mileage on the console will not work. This is because the BCMs are incompatible. All the other features will work.

There you have it. Seek out an EVIC if you can, the functionality is far superior :)

-Blu

danfr

Reaction score
Gotta love this forum! Thanks for the quick reply. I was starting to worry I fried something while hooking it up. I actually have a used EVIC on the way. It's from a 2000 Grand Cherokee. Hopefully it will work better. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Again!

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
... at least your temperature will work... 8-[ =P~

You're right, but U knew that going into it tho. It's different when u think u have something right and it doesnt work. My father, back in the day, rebuilt the engine in his Vega kuz it wasnt running well. After rebuild, same problem.

Replaced a 19c fuse, and all was well.

LOL

-Blu

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
marlonjbt said:
... at least your temperature will work... 8-[ =P~

You're right, but U knew that going into it tho. It's different when u think u have something right and it doesnt work. My father, back in the day, rebuilt the engine in his Vega kuz it wasnt running well. After rebuild, same problem.

Replaced a 19c fuse, and all was well.

LOL

-Blu
Ahh, yes, lol.....

(However, it would have been one dang good April Fools Joke if I said that the temp worked!!!)

danfr

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just swapped out the OTIS for an used EVIC from a 99 Grand Cherokee. The trip mileage works now. This EVIC displays Compass, Temp, average MPG, Current MPG, Trip, DTE, Travel Time, miles to service. It also allows me to set certain features such as headlight off delay, doorlocks, low fuel beep, etc. Do the newer EVIC's have any additional features (other than some with tire pressure)? I thought the evic would display a car icon showing which door is open? Just curious if newer model EVIC's (or newer Liberty's) had any additional EVIC features. My Liberty is an 2003 model.

Thanks,
Dan

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres some speculation around this. It is my understanding that different EVICs (maybe different software in the EVIC) can yield different results. Mine (out of a 00 GC, I think) tells me about my glass being open - think it says "liftgate open" or something on that order. It (ahem) gives me low-fuel indication as well. But for individual doors being open, no.

Having said all that, I'm totally fine with the evic I have exactly as is. I'd love to have homelink and TPMS, but those are really just toys. I dont park the car in the garage (storage). The Tire pressure deal is just too expensive to justify right now.

Latest posts

Members online