Other filter under the air filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside the breather, under the air filter, on my 2006 Liberty is a little filter in a sleeve (for lack of a better term). It's in bad shape. Black and coming apart. My guess is PCV filter, but I'm not sure. The parts store doesn't have it in there system, and it isn't in my Chilton repair manual. Anyone know for sure what it is and where to get a new one?

Thanks for any help.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep the's the filter for the PVC...we call it Spongebob. Did you check rock auto? Easy to get out of a junkyard too. Or just go get like a grout sponge or something and cut it to fit.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inside the breather, under the air filter, on my 2006 Liberty is a little filter in a sleeve (for lack of a better term). It's in bad shape. Black and coming apart. My guess is PCV filter, but I'm not sure. The parts store doesn't have it in there system, and it isn't in my Chilton repair manual. Anyone know for sure what it is and where to get a new one?

Thanks for any help.

I'd just buy a bigger one at some parts store and cut to size. I've seen a variety of them at Autozone around me. Not even listed in my 05 parts fiche.

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. Thanks to both of you for the help. I'll see what I can find to replace it with then. And, no, I haven't tried Rock Auto. If nothing else, I'll look them up.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
"spongebob".....haha Haven't heard from him in a while. Once you get him fixed, check him when you change your air filter and just rinse him out and squeeze dry. Just takes a minute and he is clean. That's what I do.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A new inexpensive Mopar Sponge Bob #05066076AA is also obtainable.
He was crumbling, and shrank, poor guy. :)
You must be registered for see images attach

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks. Yeah this poor guy is beyond cleaning. I'll have to use a shop vac to get him all out. Thanks for the tip Dave. And thanks for the part number TC.

Boomhawr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ended up just getting 1 from the dealership. It was just over $5 (with military discount).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.