Orbital or Rotary Buffer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen someone mention that either an orbital or rotary buffer can be used when cleaning up the dullness of the KJ. However, what is the difference between these two buffers? What are some brands you suggest? I am very close in buying my cleaning supplies and will be looking to get one.

Regards,

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen someone mention that either an orbital or rotary buffer can be used when cleaning up the dullness of the KJ. However, what is the difference between these two buffers? What are some brands you suggest? I am very close in buying my cleaning supplies and will be looking to get one.

Regards,
Rotory buffer just spins in a circle,a orbital spins in a aliptical pattern.I find the orbital buffers are not as effective as rotory buffers.The better brands of buffers like Dewalt and Makitia are rotory buffers and the cheaper ones you buy a Wally world are the orbital buffers.Either will do the job,but the rotory buffers a less of a hassle and go alot quicker.Orbital buffers are more time consuming and in my experience don't work as well.If cost is a factor,get the orbital ones at auto parts stores and wally world since the better rotory buffers can cost over $200 easy.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Porter Cable FTW.

And DO NOT buy the cordless buffer from wally world! Nothing is more aggravating than putting a coat of wax on and having the battery pop out and land on your hood! (Argh)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rotory buffer is really only for the experienced detailer. It makes very quick work of removing defects from the paint. Its usually best to go back over the paint with a Porter Cable to remove the holograms that the rotory buffer left behind. I

Ive been detailing for years and ive not moved up to the rotory yet. it takes alot of practice to perfect it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rotory buffer is really only for the experienced detailer. It makes very quick work of removing defects from the paint. Its usually best to go back over the paint with a Porter Cable to remove the holograms that the rotory buffer left behind. I

Ive been detailing for years and ive not moved up to the rotory yet. it takes alot of practice to perfect it.
Yeah those rotory buffers can be a handfull if your not carefull.I kinda had to use rotory buffers because after a paint job I would sand the new paint with(depending on if there was dirt or the orange peel wasn't correct) 1500 or 3000 grit sand paper and then buff out and the orbital buffers would not do the job.A really good way to get rid of those "holograms" from a rotory buffer is to go back over it with a machine glaze,it works wonders on new paint at least.There are good orbital buffers but I'm already good with a rotory so I stick with those.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah those rotory buffers can be a handfull if your not carefull.I kinda had to use rotory buffers because after a paint job I would sand the new paint with(depending on if there was dirt or the orange peel wasn't correct) 1500 or 3000 grit sand paper and then buff out and the orbital buffers would not do the job.A really good way to get rid of those "holograms" from a rotory buffer is to go back over it with a machine glaze,it works wonders on new paint at least.There are good orbital buffers but I'm already good with a rotory so I stick with those.

I agree there are times when only an rotary buffer will work. Personally I only use a rotary as well. I own a Dewalt rotary and thats what I do all my detailing with. I agree with tjkj2002 that if you are using the right products you should be able to remove swirls and not have to worry about any hologramming from the buffer.

alpnst

Reaction score
Its not all about the right products, it's about using a rotary correctly. You can very easily burn the paint if you are not careful. I ran a detailing business for years before I moved and I would never let someone that has never practiced on an old car touch a new car with a rotary. For the hobbiest, I reccomend the Porter Cable 6" random orbital. I use it on my family's cars which include a new mercedes benz and it works very well. I would be happy to talk you through the process if you need help. Also, don't forget to use a clay bar before you start the polishing procedure.

Michael

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree there are times when only an rotary buffer will work. Personally I only use a rotary as well. I own a Dewalt rotary and thats what I do all my detailing with. I agree with tjkj2002 that if you are using the right products you should be able to remove swirls and not have to worry about any hologramming from the buffer.

So what would be the best one to get for occasional use to remove swirls or maby light scratches without going broke??

Dave

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what would be the best one to get for occasional use to remove swirls or maby light scratches without going broke??

Dave

I would stick with a porter cable polisher (7424), i would not recommend a rotary to anyone that doesn't have experience. The porter cable is going to be safer for basic use, it will take a little more to get out swirls and scratches but will be safer for someone who doesn't have the experience of a rotary.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would stick with a porter cable polisher (7424), i would not recommend a rotary to anyone that doesn't have experience. The porter cable is going to be safer for basic use, it will take a little more to get out swirls and scratches but will be safer for someone who doesn't have the experience of a rotary.

Thanks.....so I found a website - autogeekonline.net - with a whole section on the Porter Cable #7424.......ever hear about that website??

Dave