opti-coat 2.0 permanent paint coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Optimum and I purchase a lot of my supplies through Autogeek, but nothing is permanent. Especially when talking about protective coatings.

From Autogeek: "Note: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is not to be confused with other waxes, sealants or nano-coatings, this is different. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 uses a resin technology that forms a permanent bond to paint and cures, just like an extra layer of clear coat."

We all know that clear coat is not permanant either. Otherwise, we wouldn't be using items to protect it. Which means that a product that acts like another layer of clear coat is also not permanant. If clear coat can be broken down by nature and mauled by human actions, so can Opti-Coat. If fact...

From Autogeek: "Caution: If you wait too long to buff Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0, it will cure. You will have to polish the area and reapply Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0."

It owns instructions tell you how it can be removed. If you can polish it off, nature and other care care actions can remove it as well. Also, since clear coat gets scratches, contaminats, etc that needs to polished off, why wouldn't Opti-Coat need the same. And, if you do happen to need to polish the area, the Opti-Coat is gone.

It may be a long lasting type protectant, but if you think you are going to get away with one application, you are wrong. A lot happens to a vehicle during a year, even with great care.

Basically, you are going to have to treat Opti-Coat like a clear coat. For it to last forever, it needs taken care of as well, only, it isn't asdurable as clear coat.

Nothing takes the place of a good wash/clay/paint cleaner/sealant regimine a couple of times a year.

To me, it is another product for detail shops and dealers to sale you as a permanant coating and make a bunch of money on.

IMO.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i dont count on it being 100 percent permament and i would never try to skip out on regular waxing but i like the idea of instead of buffing away my clearcoat, having this "clear coat like product" on top of it so that when i do polish the liberty i am buffing off an expendable product not expensive paint...just wondering if anyone has used it and if its for real, i really liked optimums compound II and finish polish II so i would like to think the coating is good

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just tried SCG's Nano Sealant/Polish on the KJ and I do love it. Not permanent, but should hold up for at least 6 months, and with a fresh coat, should fare well in WI winters.