Opinions on tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at these tires.
Wrangler Duratrac
Nexen Rodian MT(had these before and liked them a lot)
General Grabber AT2
Firestone Destination AT(had these on my blazer)

I really want to get an all terrain because of better wear and just last longer. But I haven't had an AT that self cleaned good so I've found my self stuck with ATs. But never had problems with a MT. I like the look of the AT2s does anyone run them? Could you tell me how they do off road? And if you have an opinion on another tire that I didn't let PLEASE tell me. After I get the Jeep running in buying tires and really want a good set. In thinking about the Nexens just because I liked them. But I'm buying 5 and the size I want is 175 a tire.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like my AT2s. I haven't tested them fully to be able to speak to their worth off road though. Also waiting for some snow!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Duratracs
good all around tire out of the ones you listed
do really well in most all conditions, I can go through snow and light muddy trails in two wheel drive that it takes 4 wheel with BFGs etc
wear well as well 63,000 on mine and just now down to 8/32s of tread
I have ran the Destination ATs wear great but would get hung up on wet grass almost
Grabber AT2s are BFG ATs wannabes and the BFGs aren't that great
Don't know about the Nexan, if I can pronounce the name I can't buy them :icon_razz::icon_razz:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Look at Nitto Terra Grapplers too, I have them on my KJ and LR3 and they do great on rocks and stuff, mud, sand and snow/ice.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs
good all around tire out of the ones you listed
do really well in most all conditions, I can go through snow and light muddy trails in two wheel drive that it takes 4 wheel with BFGs etc
wear well as well 63,000 on mine and just now down to 8/32s of tread
I have ran the Destination ATs wear great but would get hung up on wet grass almost
Grabber AT2s are BFG ATs wannabes and the BFGs aren't that great
Don't know about the Nexan, if I can pronounce the name I can't buy them :icon_razz::icon_razz:

Yeah I liked my Destination ATs until I used them. Theyre just cheap and have great tread life. It was a bad night that started at 11pm until 5am
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the ruts of my blazer.

And what my front end looked like after 3 trucks tried to pull me out

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've only heard one thing about both of these tires... Horrible tread life. So since yall run these how Is your 1st hand experience?

My Terras are great tread life wise. Got about 35k on my Terras now, probably run another 10k or so. My LR3 is on its second set, got about 45k out of the first set could've gone more if the tierods in the front didn't chew them up on the edge. Has its second set on now, about 7k on them now and they look new.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not going to get a tire to perform good offroad and maintain good tread life.

If you really want to play in the mud your going to have to give up ride comfort,low noise,cheap,and tread life.The closest thing to what you want is the Interco Trxus MT but the tread life is only about 30k-35k.No AT will perform much better then the Destination AT's,and no the Durtrac is not a AT,it's a AT/MT hybrid(not good at either one by definition).

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not going to get a tire to perform good offroad and maintain good tread life.

If you really want to play in the mud your going to have to give up ride comfort,low noise,cheap,and tread life.The closest thing to what you want is the Interco Trxus MT but the tread life is only about 30k-35k.No AT will perform much better then the Destination AT's,and no the Durtrac is not a AT,it's a AT/MT hybrid(not good at either one by definition).

Ride comfort and noise I've never cared about lol. That's sad that I had the best AT and still wouldn't perform good. And I wondered what the duratrac was that makes since that its neither. And I am buying and rotating 5 so I'll get a few thousand extra out of them vs just buying and rotating 4. I'll look those interco MTs here in a min. Thanks man.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what guys screw it I'm only 19 and only bought two sets of tires on my own. So what's the best Mud tire. I love the noise so that doesn't bother me. What's the best tire that'll dig and allow me at least 30k with rotating 5.

The IVIinority

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the eldorado mtz sport tires. I run them and love em. Not too loud and good in snow (for a mt tire) cheap too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 37

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs. You won't regret it. Self cleans like a boss, and like Mudd said, I can get almost anywhere in 2 wheel drive

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expensive used tires.

Are they really used? And what's your opinion I buy my tires at a local tire shop and let me pay them off as I can. I'm gonna buy 5 so what do you think I should get? Duratracs like a lot of people? Or something else right now its a debate in between nexens and duratracs.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well between the Nexens and the Duratracs in a 265/75/16 for 5 tires so I can rotate 5
This is just for the tire not including mounting or anything else.

Duratracs-$965
Nexens-857

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Duras...for an extra $100 a set it's a no brainer. Rather have the name brand IMO!

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duras...for an extra $100 a set it's a no brainer. Rather have the name brand IMO!

Nexens have come a long way people under estimate this tire. Its what I ran on here to begin with and at 15000 miles I had just lost 1/16 of an inch. And they're great in rain so I couldn't complain

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want good cheap tires and have a pepboys near you look into the definty dakota at/2s for an at and the definity dakota mt for an mt.

Both are cheap good tires made by cooper, the at2s are what ive got right now and i can get through almost everything around here with them if the hole isnt too deep that i would sink the jeep. They also self clean really well especially while your still offroading. I dont have any experience with the mts but ive heard alot of good things about them.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

Latest posts

Members online