On The Road Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First let me tell the outline. I tow my Liberty behind my RV. The front brakes have always had a shudder when first applied, assumed to be warped rotors.I just had a OME 2” lift installed & 8" wide wheels installed before I left Texas. I had the Jeep aligned before I left, & I’m now just N of Omaha, NE. The Jeep has developed a slight pull to the left, but was barely noticeable, so figured it could wait till I got home. Then I noticed the left front tire wearing, about 2x the right side. Yesterday we made a short trip in the interstate and found it had a "rumble" or real deep vibration (that I can notice) comes in about 65, the wife can recognize it when we’re about 70. This morning backing out of the drive it gave a gear dragging sound, then a fairly loud snap sound. Now I have ABS, BSP & the antiskid lights on, and the Cruise Control has stopped working. ?????

The cruise control light on the odometer works, just no CC.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like multiple issues now w/brakes & complete drive line inspections time and another alignment.
Snap not good..was the gear drag sound from the front or rear?
The rear diff's like to have new gear lube frequently, ie every 30k miles.
Have you have been placing the transfer case into neutral before towing?

TomB985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a few things going on. The abnormal tire wear is almost certainly an alignment problem, but the rest is tough to figure based on what you describe.

Does it run and drive normally? Was the T-case always put into neutral before towing it?

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, seems to drive like it was yesterday. Always put the case in N, xmission in P. The sound was kinda like a ratchet.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If something weird was going on with the wheel bearing that would just about explain everything.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, seems to drive like it was yesterday. Always put the case in N, xmission in P. The sound was kinda like a ratchet.

Wait, you towed it with the transmission in park? That doesn't sound right.

Also, other than recommending a visual inspection to start, and of course the alignment is off causing your tire wear, is that the cruise control will be disabled when the ABS/TCS has a fault. Many cars also disable the cruise control when the check engine MIL is on as well.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, you towed it with the transmission in park? That doesn't sound right.

Trans in "P" and t-case in "N",how you must tow a KJ or burn up the trans(no joke),a guy over on LOST found out the hard way when his trans caught on fire while flat towing it with the trans in "N" and t-case in 2wd(was a CRD also).

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans in "P" and t-case in "N",how you must tow a KJ or burn up the trans(no joke),a guy over on LOST found out the hard way when his trans caught on fire while flat towing it with the trans in "N" and t-case in 2wd(was a CRD also).

Huh.. did not know. I don't tow my KJ, my KJ does the towing.. so. Sounds counter-intuitive but if that's how it has to be, then there it is.

Thanks for the clarification.

Latest posts

Members online