OME or Bilstein shocks for LibertyTc's KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'll post this here as well...

A fellow member and good friend of ours: LibertyTC aka Tim, wants to lift his KJ with OME HD Coil springs and a new set of shocks!
Consideribg that Rancho shocks are no longer "readily" available, I told him to go with Bilstein shocks!

Our KJ has a Frankenlift with Rancho shocks alround and he loves the way our Rig handles like a sports car/truck and he wants the same overall ride!

All opinions welcome folks!

Cheers
Ry'

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the ride of the Bilsteins and the OME 132Ls are just about the same. I have had both on mine, sold the Bilsteins and have the 132Ls sitting here, no on mine.
I think they are a little softer valved than the Rancho RSX's were / are.
I wish I could still find some RSX 17004s love them
I am trying to find another shock that is valved the same as the Ranchos were with a comparable price.
I agree with you on the handling

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If after calling Rancho in the am...
Who knows maybe they have a new replacement number for the RSX17004s/ 05's ??
Have I got this right? RSX 04 for the rear and 05s for the front?

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have the Medium Duty OME and Bilsteins all around, love the ride. It rides very close to the air suspension LR3. Corners very well too, feels tighter/more responsive.

I don't have any experience with Rancho's, so I'm not sure how they compare to them.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Rancho Customer Service Stated:

Just called Rancho customer service 1-734-384-7804 their response was:
ALL OF THE RSX SERIES IS TO BE DISCONTINUED.:thumbsdown::favorites68:
What is now available for the Jeep Liberty?....The 9000 series.

Ok with that being said somewhere on the site someone should now create STICKY for part #s to eliminate confusions.
A good Sticky Name would be "Shocks & Springs & Other Things" for your KJ (stock & Lifted)..LOL. (something to work on)
All of the shocks available for the KJ Front & Rear & include the OME Spring part numbers/ lengths and spring rates etc.
It should also be mentioned in the post that when using the OME lifted coil in the front, no special/longer shock is required. Longer only required in the rear when lifted.(and include the words Durango and descriptions)
Create a Parts list both For stock & Lifted.
IS there a post/sticky like this in how to OR Lifted section?

HJ You went Billstein front & Rear what are the part numbers please?

Note RYAN: I just got off the phone from ALL J products again. Because the springs are Made in Australia , duty/brokerage fees apply. What a nightmare.
Last time I ordered stuff from the US where duty was involved, the arriving into Vancouver Unquoteable/Unknown broker immediately applied a $100+ handling/paperwork fee, plus duty, plus 13% taxes. + the shipping charge+ exchange rate. Enough to make you dizzy just typing that! Let alone cutting cheques for broker & then taxes, duty, before they will release anything! Can be a 1 month process in DEC!!! NOT HAPPENING!

Olympic 4x4 Products in Snohomish Washington was $149 pair for OME springs, can have them next day.
What can we do locally??
As you mentioned National 4WD in Langley.
$176 per set of OME Springs. This is good!
They will get the job. Richard sounds like a really good knowledgeable dude..The have done install work on kj's too.
Now the considerations begins as to what shocks to use, bump stops, and 2" clevis conduits to get the front level.
My Christmas present is going to happen!
Can't wait..got to give them a couple of weeks heads up. extra $225 if done on their lift.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Front were just the stock KJ part #
Rear was for an 02-04 Dakota 4x4 Crew Cab

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my two RSX 17004s from xloffroad.com for $113 shipped back in august.. They might still have some.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks kjweston, just sent them an email and will phone them in the am and see if they still have stock. Where are they located in US?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried them ,xloffroad, said they would try again but never heard anything back, that was about a month ago

all the lift springs shocks info is in my head, maybe easier to stick it through my monitor so anyone can use what they want:happy175:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Got email back from XLoffroad. They still can get the front Rancho's.
Only one for rear available.
I think I am just going to try and find one location that has Bilstein's
And to clarify Bilstein part number F4-BE5-D916-HO is Front Shock KJ
Rear shock F4-BE5-A702-HO for OME lifted...(Dakota 02-04 Crew 4x4)
It really is a shame Rancho is discontinuing the RSX line.
Since I posted up "is anyone using The 9000 series"..still no replies. I guess they are too expensive?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Went with Bilstien

With numerous phone calls and hours spent trying to find anyone that had these shocks in stock, thanks to HJ and his recommendation of Allshocks.com
I finally have a UPS tracking number.
Here is the link for Lifted front shock F4-BE5-D916-HO http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make=%27JEEP%27&model=%27Liberty%20%28KJ%29%27&year=%272002

Lifted rear shock F4-BE5-A702-HO (Dakota spec)
http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make=%27DODGE%27&model=%27Dakota%20Quad%20Cab%204WD%27&year=%272001
Probably to arrive this week.
In the meantime I made the rear hockey puck bumpstops all for $10!
37526[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

And Edit: The Bilstiens arrived.
37528[/ATTACH]"]

Going to wait until Jan after the postal rush, to order the teraflex front bump stops and OME coils.

Attachments

• JeepRearBumpStops.jpg
    JeepRearBumpStops.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • BilsteinShocks1.jpg
    BilsteinShocks1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Today Boiler's Polyethylene 3/8 top plate shims arrived.
This should level the front nicely with the OME 927 coils + Bilstiens shocks.
I called the local dealer today not one single rear ISO pad available in Canada, back order.
I guess I will do the lift without the extra rear isolators and see how it goes.
I may be a bit nose high for a while! any idea of a temporary spacer for the rear if I cant get the iso's right away?
Picture of the 3/8 top plate shims.
38029[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• BoilersShims.jpg
    BoilersShims.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Today Boiler's Polyethylene 3/8 top plate shims arrived.
This should level the front nicely with the OME 927 coils + Bilstiens shocks.
I called the local dealer today not one single rear ISO pad available in Canada, back order.
I guess I will do the lift without the extra rear isolators and see how it goes.
I may be a bit nose high for a while! any idea of a temporary spacer for the rear if I cant get the iso's right away?
Picture of the 3/8 top plate shims.
38031[/ATTACH]"]
after installation of the above shims make sure you recheck them after 1000/1500 miles they do "mash" down after a while. They won't hold up as good as aluminum or steel ones. Nothing against Boiler or his shims just a fact. I tried one of the first test sets and had to keep tighting them, finally removed them Just saying

Attachments

• BoilersShims.jpg
    BoilersShims.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Tom.
That is not the news I was looking for.
I sure wish I would have known this before ordering.
I would have gone with aluminum.
Might as well send them back for the aluminum or steel ones then.
Polyethylene then is the wrong material for this job.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have discussed it with Boiler and he says they will work, and that I did not install them correctly, but the fact reamins that they did compress down and I do beleive I have installed a few more than most
Thses compressed almost as much as my ones I made from a regular everyday kitchen cutting board
Also I would suppose that most people do not tear theirs apart on a regular basis to try other things and check each and every component like I do when I'm bored:shrug::icon_twisted::pp:
Just thought I would give you a heads up and something to check after a while

Nothing agaist Boiler or his products at all

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I tested them for him too. They were in my jeep for nearly 10K miles.

They compressed a tiny fraction of a bit for me (hardly measurable by my standards), but not nearly what Tom reports happening to his. I did tighten the font shock assemblies down once after 1-2K miles of having them installed. After that, they stayed snug for the rest of the time they were installed.

:shrug:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya they will work for how long before they compress and need attention to tightening the shock bolts down. Where exactly are the install instructions for these by the way, if you may have installed them wrong?
What is required to tighten things back down? Remove battery and air box etc..??
Jayme, I understand you tested them for Boiler, and then he may have requested them back, and I believe today you now have the aluminum shims.
I hope Boiler will reply to my request to return the poly and please make me aluminum ones, that do not compress.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I tested them for him too. They were in my jeep for nearly 10K miles.

They compressed a tiny fraction of a bit for me (hardly measurable by my standards), but not nearly what Tom reports happening to his. I did tighten the font shock assemblies down once after 1-2K miles of having them installed. After that, they stayed snug for the rest of the time they were installed.

:shrug:

Testing was done differently maybe, extreme Monroe County Ohio testing was done on mine down on the farm :happy175:

Latest posts

Members online