OME lift, Do not want to hammer pinch welds...245/75 vs 235/75

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not want to hammer pinch welds and melt the plastic to accommodate 245/75 tires. Are there any A/T 245/75's that would not require this? Would the 245/75 offer much over a 235/75? If I am doing the math correctly the 245 would only offer about a 1/4 inch lift for the pumpkin over the 235 (29.9 inch tire vs 30.5). Are there any other sizes I am missing that I could run (30+ inch tires). I debated going to a 215/85 (30.4 inch), but those only come in E load range and tire shops say that would be a mistake to put E's on my KJ.... Any input will be very helpful!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I run 245/70/17s which are the same as a 245/75/16...never touch my pinchwelds. Running the basic OME kit, nothing extra except a bit of clevis lift up front due to the winch. Had to trim the front air dam a bit, but depending on what year KJ you have and trim level you might not have to. I'd go 245/75. I'd skip the load range E, I wheel with P rated tires and never had a cut. E would be a lot of extra rotational mass.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but those only come in E load range and tire shops say that would be a mistake to put E's on my KJ.... Any input will be very helpful!

Until my SFA swap I only ran D and E rated LT tires on my KJ and loved them,much better ride and more protection when aired down offroad.

When I did my SFA swap I could run C rated LT's.

I'd never run a P-metric tire on a Jeep,personal preference.

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 245/70/17s which are the same as a 245/75/16...never touch my pinchwelds. I'd skip the load range E, I wheel with P rated tires and never had a cut. E would be a lot of extra rotational mass.

That's promising to hear that you never touched your pinchwelds. I have read from people who state they have had to. I was thinking maybe it was just with the tires that are really meaty. My Jeep is an 06 Sport if that means anything in regards to trimming plastic.

If I go with a 245/75 it definitely won't be an E or a D due to the extra rotational mass. where it gets interesting to me is where I have read a 215/85/r16 which is 30.4" does not rub and requires no trimming or hammering (probably due to it being thinner). Those tires only come in E and D load though (very few D's). However the weight isn't any worse than the 245/75's ...it's just the ride really that concerns me since it is my daily driver.

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until my SFA swap I only ran D and E rated LT tires on my KJ and loved them,much better ride and more protection when aired down offroad.

When I did my SFA swap I could run C rated LT's.

I'd never run a P-metric tire on a Jeep,personal preference.

So you actually didn't notice the vehicle handling worse when you were riding E's or D's?
I have read posts from plenty of people who swear by E's and D's. That's what has made this decision more difficult.

The weight of a 215/85 E is I believe still less than or right around that of a P or C 245/75, it's only .1 inch smaller in diameter and skinnier by 1.1 inch. In my mind I could get this tire it would not require trimming and pounding and the tire being skinnier would be less friction and thus lighten the load on my ****** and save me a MPG or something....but the tire shops say that's a bad idea to run an E or a D on my KJ...then you (and a crap ton of others n past posts) tell me otherwise...lol.

I would be easy to just take the word of the tire guys because that is their line of expertise...buuut then I think about how that job probably has a high turnover rate and so their opinions may not be as well rounded as one would think.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's promising to hear that you never touched your pinchwelds. I have read from people who state they have had to. I was thinking maybe it was just with the tires that are really meaty. My Jeep is an 06 Sport if that means anything in regards to trimming plastic.

If I go with a 245/75 it definitely won't be an E or a D due to the extra rotational mass. where it gets interesting to me is where I have read a 215/85/r16 which is 30.4" does not rub and requires no trimming or hammering (probably due to it being thinner). Those tires only come in E and D load though (very few D's). However the weight isn't any worse than the 245/75's ...it's just the ride really that concerns me since it is my daily driver.

Depends a lot of what tires ( size/ brand/ width ) plus what wheels ( width/backspacing ) if you have to or not. On my own I do them all, easy / cheap way for extra clearance and if done right hurts nothing . On ones I lift for others depends on what tires etc they are going to run.
One person can not say that you will have no issues at all, well unless they have a crystal ball to see into the future .

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So you actually didn't notice the vehicle handling worse when you were riding E's or D's?
I have read posts from plenty of people who swear by E's and D's. That's what has made this decision more difficult.

The weight of a 215/85 E is I believe still less than or right around that of a P or C 245/75, it's only .1 inch smaller in diameter and skinnier by 1.1 inch. In my mind I could get this tire it would not require trimming and pounding and the tire being skinnier would be less friction and thus lighten the load on my ****** and save me a MPG or something....but the tire shops say that's a bad idea to run an E or a D on my KJ...then you (and a crap ton of others n past posts) tell me otherwise...lol.

I would be easy to just take the word of the tire guys because that is their line of expertise...buuut then I think about how that job probably has a high turnover rate and so their opinions may not be as well rounded as one would think.

Depends on the tire guys. I have done everything from mount tires ( back in my very younger days ) to manage stores for Goodyear etc . Some if they said it was raining, I'd look outside myself first before believing them. Take it with a grain of salt

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends a lot of what tires ( size/ brand/ width ) plus what wheels ( width/backspacing ) if you have to or not. On my own I do them all, easy / cheap way for extra clearance and if done right hurts nothing . On ones I lift for others depends on what tires etc they are going to run.
One person can not say that you will have no issues at all, well unless they have a crystal ball to see into the future .

Fair enough....but, for 16 inch stock wheels on an 06 with Hankook Dynapros 245/75/16....would you say yay or nay to the likelihood that hammering and melting plastic would be needed? Also if I were to narrow it down to a different brand would you be okay with me PMing you to see if you think extra work to fit them would be necessary? Sounds like you have experience fitting lifts and different tires so you may have some insight if you've worked with them before...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough....but, for 16 inch stock wheels on an 06 with Hankook Dynapros 245/75/16....would you say yay or nay to the likelihood that hammering and melting plastic would be needed? Also if I were to narrow it down to a different brand would you be okay with me PMing you to see if you think extra work to fit them would be necessary? Sounds like you have experience fitting lifts and different tires so you may have some insight if you've worked with them before...

OME with what springs?
Also any extras added like top plate and or clevis
Stock wheels / 245-75-16s in an A/T design / 927 front springs at 2.5 inches , would be close (but doable in most cases)

sparky27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME with what springs?
Also any extras added like top plate and or clevis
Stock wheels / 245-75-16s in an A/T design / 927 front springs at 2.5 inches , would be close (but doable in most cases)

I have the gas medium duty OME springs (can't remember the #). I do not have any extras added like the top plate or clevis....which now that you mentioned those extras I may look into them a bit more in the near future.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the gas medium duty OME springs (can't remember the #). I do not have any extras added like the top plate or clevis....which now that you mentioned those extras I may look into them a bit more in the near future.

With the 926s then you're a bit lower , more like 1.5 - 2 inches

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. Close. But ok. I remember when I first picked my KJ up with the first set of 245/70/17s (as big as the 245/75/16s) and I thought "Holy shit how will I turn?" tire was like a half inch or less from the pinchweld. But it worked and 70,000 miles later still does.

Latest posts

Members online