OME 2" + a bit more?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

froop

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had the ARB Old Man Emu 2" lift on my '04 KJ with 245/75R16s for a few months now, and I'm very happy with it all, save for a bit of rubbing on the rear guards.

I'm in Australia, and my KJ options are somewhat limited compared to those of you in the States. The OME lift consists of heavy duty springs front and rear, and replacement shocks and struts.

Only time the rear tyres rubbed were at full travel up, so last weekend I also put 2" spacers in the rear for a healthy 4" total lift in the rear. Was a bitch to squeeze th spacers in with the longer, heavy duty springs, but got there in the end and after taking it out bush yesterday am extremely happy with it all.

Now my only problem is that I've got a 2" lift in the front and a 4" lift in the back! So I'm thinking of maybe getting a pair of 3/4" spacers for the front to make the Jeep sit a bit more level.

I'm a bit more hesitant to play with the front that the back, firstly because of the ol' CV issue, but also because it's much more of a prick to work on the front, what with the airbox in the way on one side, and two batteries in the way on the other side..

Any thoughts or suggestions from anyone else out there in KJ land?

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark,

You should get away with the 3/4" spacer at the front because the OME front springs are only 1.5". The 'Frankin Lift' that is available in the USA is actually the front OME springs and a daystar strut plate (about 1") or maybe you might want to consider a clevis lift at the front instead of a spacer?

OME refused to put together a lift greater than 1.5" at the front because they reckon that 2.5" is way too high for the KJ's IFS......... I guess only time will tell?

By the way, your rear springs are also not 2", they are closer to 1.75".

Hope you can get it sorted.

Ian

froop

Reaction score
Thanks Ian,
Yeah, I realise that the OME lift isn't the full 2", but it's easer to say. I didn't get before and after measurements, but it's probably even less that 1.75"/1.5" with the ARB bar on the front, and a steel longrange tank in the rear. Plus I think the diesel donk is also a bit heavier than the petrol ones too.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the engine weight. If you also have an ARB bar and belly plates, you probably will have a .25" off your lift.

It isn't the lift that is main problem, it's how far the wheels travel down and the amount of 'droop' they have. That's when the UBJ contact becomes a problem!

Ian

froop

Reaction score
kj lad said:
It isn't the lift that is main problem, it's how far the wheels travel down and the amount of 'droop' they have. That's when the UBJ contact becomes a problem!

Correct. I noticed that before the lift, the CVs angle upwards towards the wheels on flat ground, so on down travel, they go past horizontal before bending down. At the moment they're sitting just slightly upward of horizontal.

claudio

Reaction score
froot, one question, before the lift yo had yours cv in this angle:

[]\_/[]

or you had this angle:

[]/-\[]

or

[]---[]

My CRD with 27000 KM has the first configuration and i don't know if i had to take it to the dealer for a leveling.

thanks

Claudio

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My OME rear medium spring actually gave me 2.5 inches in the rear and that is in comparison to a bone stock KJ with no armor or anything. I would assume that the heavy duty ones would give you almost 3 inches. Now their front springs only give you about 1.5inches if that.

Members online

No members online now.