Oldest Kj still on the Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i was looking at my drivers side door sticker today to see what psi i need to be at for my tires. I seen the manufatured date and it got me thinking. When did they start building these things? Mine was made in 2001. Who has the oldest who has a wierd date like an 04 built a year earlier? Who has the oldest as far as miles? My 2002 was built in November of 2001 and currently has 167508 miles.

You must be registered for see images attach

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They started making KJ's in March of '01 as model year '02.They made model year 2002 KJ's for almost 2 years.

My buddy's KJ was built in June of '01 and still on the road.Mine was built February of '02,still don't even have 100k on the ODO yet.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They started making KJ's in March of '01 as model year '02.They made model year 2002 KJ's for almost 2 years.

My buddy's KJ was built in June of '01 and still on the road.Mine was built February of '02,still don't even have 100k on the ODO yet.

Wow you like em young lol. Not even 100k thats impressive. You got me beat on the build date so far your winning. Yours is like young and old all at the same time.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My 06 has 263k on it, still no major issues! I drive it for work in Nor Cal.

263k that is very nice these things run like there is no tomorrow. Mine consumes some oil past that she is a champ.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i was looking at my drivers side door sticker today to see what psi i need to be at for my tires. I seen the manufatured date and it got me thinking. When did they start building these things? Mine was made in 2001. Who has the oldest who has a wierd date like an 04 built a year earlier? Who has the oldest as far as miles? My 2002 was built in November of 2001 and currently has 167508 miles.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mine is a twin of yours! Same 11/01 build date and same color limited. 179k on mine and going strong.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
7/22/04 for an 05...early for an 05 since I've seen 04s with 6/04 build dates.

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the oldest or highest mileage, but my wife's 02 was built in May 2002 and has 156,191 miles.

Scott

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine was built 9/20/2001 - 257K when I sold it. New owner planned to keep driving it.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was built 9/20/2001 - 257K when I sold it. New owner planned to keep driving it.

Wow coyote thats a good one. One of the terms of sale should have been he has to join this forum and keep us posted on eugene. Shoulda put it in the fine print.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a twin of yours! Same 11/01 build date and same color limited. 179k on mine and going strong.

Wow we must be brothers. Our kj could have been right next to eachother at some point in time. Crazy.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What color is yours? I know the last KJ was a white sport made in June...everyone at the KJ plant signed the undercarriage and stuff. Idk if Jeep set it aside though.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is yours? I know the last KJ was a white sport made in June...everyone at the KJ plant signed the undercarriage and stuff. Idk if Jeep set it aside though.

Cool!

When I worked at a junk yard there was a Mazda 4 dr (protégé ?) they were cutting the rear clip off of, when the pulled the rear seats and carpet they found a yen coin. Not sure the domination, it was a goldish color. My friend who worked the counter kept the coin because in all the years of business they never found anything like it. Alway wondered about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That sounds pretty awesome. Mine is a silver limited. Maybe with the vin i can find the exact date. I guess they dont want you to know if its a monday or friday car (dunno) ?

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was a May 2001 build with 114K on it. It's still on the road. It was recently rear ended and the guys over at Line-X had to do a new rear bumper for it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it since I traded it in last November, but they did confirm it is still on the road and in the area.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was a May 2001 build with 114K on it. It's still on the road. It was recently rear ended and the guys over at Line-X had to do a new rear bumper for it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it since I traded it in last November, but they did confirm it is still on the road and in the area.

Low milage oldie nice. Moved on to a jk i see.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty awesome. Mine is a silver limited. Maybe with the vin i can find the exact date. I guess they dont want you to know if its a monday or friday car (dunno) ?

I looked into this about 8 years ago because mine was a first year and I was curious about this right after I got it. The door tag says 11/01 but I found this site:

Steiger Performance - Liberty Build Date

So it said mine was built/completed (or something) on Wed 11/14/01 at 6AM. There is a unique identifier/sequential number in the last 6 digits of the vin so I would imagine a good vin decoder should be able to give this info also. Can anyone out there confirm the validity of this??? I don't usually put a bunch of faith in this. May just be when the tag was printed :shrug: