Old trusty rusty......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
So this is an '04 Jeep Liberty I'm looking at buying used. I don't have a whole lot of money to put down, but the used car dealer swears the engine is reliable/well maintained, and it has *relatively* low mileage (around 75K).
I just need a vehicle to get to work.
Now, here's the issue. Although it may not be immediately visible (see first pic), when you get down around the undercarriage you can clearly see it was in at least a small fender-bender of some kind where the bottom of the driverside door is.
It doesn't seem a big concern to me, but the rust I don't like at all. Its down around the edge of the undercarriage on both sides- kinda hard to tell from the substandard photos I grabbed at the lot. But on one side, the bottom edge is rusted and even a small section of it missing underneath. On the other, the lower right corner of the door is rusted and missing.

#1, the car
#2, lower right corner of driver side
#3, underneath lower right corner of driver side
#4, lower left corner of passenger door (a bit cut off, but you can see the corner is rusted and partially missing). The area is smaller than it appears in the photo

Anyway, I'm wondering if I do get this car, just how hard and expensive it would be to fix these rust issues.
Also what I was wanting to know is..... does the Jeep Liberty have any kind of accessory you can buy, that would be say a plastic bottom skirt trim, maybe black or other, that you could get to cover up that bottom edge? Does that make sense.
Sort of an undercarriage bra of sorts.
It seems such a thing would sell, as many cars do rust around these areas.

? ??? ???

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_112339081.jpg
    IMG_20210603_112339081.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210603_112350342.jpg
    IMG_20210603_112350342.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210603_112401046.jpg
    IMG_20210603_112401046.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210603_112419401.jpg
    IMG_20210603_112419401.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rust on the rockers is pretty common on the kj. Some people cut em out and weld in replacements, which apparently are offered aftermarket. Some Libs had plastic cladding that attached to the rockers down there, which perhaps you could find in a boneyard.

If you're able, I would crawl under the car completely and look over every inch down there and look for rust to see how extensive it really is. There's tons of cars out there that look perfect up top but underneath are an accident waiting to happen.

Is there a reason you're looking to buy a Liberty? Unless you're looking for 4wd, there's probably better/cheaper options.

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
>>There's tons of cars out there that look perfect up top but underneath are an accident waiting to happen.>>

This is the part I am always concerned about, rust being dangerous, something rusting through.
Is there a reason I'm looking to buy a Liberty? No, I need a vehicle immediately to get to work, this one is relatively low mileage, for sale in town and going relatively cheap.
There is nothing else I can find and yes I need 4wd and towing hitch for my work, which is renovating houses.

I'm trapped. My only transportation, my '02 Jeep Wrangler has been at the Chrysler Jeep dealership service for over a month now while they've given me a complete run-around.
I towed it there for their "diagnostics" because one morning it wouldn't start, and they tried to buy it off me for 1K to resell themselves----- when the book value of it running is between $5K and $6K. I told them no, please just fix the vehicle.
So instead they've run up $5100 in mechanic bills on me now claiming my entire engine is 'destroyed' and needs replaced. Dirty pool to be sure. Anyway while I'm fighting that legal battle, I'm forced to buy another vehicle just so I can get to work and have income.

>>
Some people cut em out and weld in replacements, which apparently are offered aftermarket. Some Libs had plastic cladding that attached to the rockers down there, which perhaps you could find in a boneyard.
>>

What do you think the cost of doing something like that would be? The only other problem I see is the lower corner of the passenger door which is rusted/bubbled and missing. I'm not sure what could be done about that, other than replacing the whole door panel which of course would be the wrong color :/

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
>>Is there a reason you're looking to buy a Liberty? Unless you're looking for 4wd, there's probably better/cheaper options.>>

Isn't this literally, a Jeep Liberty forum? And the people here are recommending not to buy one. Pretty funny.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So this is an '04 Jeep Liberty I'm looking at buying used. I don't have a whole lot of money to put down, but the used car dealer swears the engine is reliable/well maintained, and it has *relatively* low mileage (around 75K).
I just need a vehicle to get to work.
Now, here's the issue. Although it may not be immediately visible (see first pic), when you get down around the undercarriage you can clearly see it was in at least a small fender-bender of some kind where the bottom of the driverside door is.
It doesn't seem a big concern to me, but the rust I don't like at all. Its down around the edge of the undercarriage on both sides- kinda hard to tell from the substandard photos I grabbed at the lot. But on one side, the bottom edge is rusted and even a small section of it missing underneath. On the other, the lower right corner of the door is rusted and missing.

#1, the car
#2, lower right corner of driver side
#3, underneath lower right corner of driver side
#4, lower left corner of passenger door (a bit cut off, but you can see the corner is rusted and partially missing). The area is smaller than it appears in the photo

Anyway, I'm wondering if I do get this car, just how hard and expensive it would be to fix these rust issues.
Also what I was wanting to know is..... does the Jeep Liberty have any kind of accessory you can buy, that would be say a plastic bottom skirt trim, maybe black or other, that you could get to cover up that bottom edge? Does that make sense.
Sort of an undercarriage bra of sorts.
It seems such a thing would sell, as many cars do rust around these areas.

? ??? ???

You can easily buy donor steel for those areas. It isn't expensive, relatively speaking. However, unless you know how to weld sheet metal, are proficient in body work, and have the proper equipment it can be pricey. If you share some wider view photos, I can give you part numbers and such, as I just finished up cancer repair that was far worse. (and spent less than 300$ doing it, but then I have body repair stuff in my garage and can weld)
The door skins are easy. You can have bits of donor steel welded in if you want full resto, or for your purposes as a temporary beater, a bit of grinder work and some bondo will suffice. However, for many folks, it is easier to speak with a trusted body shop and get an estimate.

As for your rockers, it depends on what you are using the Jeep for- if you are building a "Machine" best to replace them from what little I see of them. Looks to have been a pretty good impact of some sort that resulted in a previous owner pulling the plastic covers off. If it is just a beater till your Wrangler is back to get back and forth to work, control the rust. Don't cover it up. There are OE plastic covers for the rocker. These were standard on most KJs.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
rust on the rockers is pretty common on the kj. Some people cut em out and weld in replacements, which apparently are offered aftermarket. Some Libs had plastic cladding that attached to the rockers down there, which perhaps you could find in a boneyard.

If you're able, I would crawl under the car completely and look over every inch down there and look for rust to see how extensive it really is. There's tons of cars out there that look perfect up top but underneath are an accident waiting to happen.

Is there a reason you're looking to buy a Liberty? Unless you're looking for 4wd, there's probably better/cheaper options.

Are you sure you are on the correct forum?;)

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
OK I got out there and got some more photos of the undercarriage.
You'll notice there is a wiring harness underneath the car- it looks like a piece of the floor has rusted through, or it was cut, I can't tell. Its odd.
But, I suppose one could easily get a piece of stainless steel plate and screw over that.
All of this is not that noticeable streetside view, and closeups but you can see what is going on.
I've just had someone tell me "Don't buy that!" but they've got money and only buy new cars...... this is going cheap and I just need transportation right now.
My real concern is anything so rusted its dangerous.
I would obviously like to repair the skirt so the rust doesn't get worse, and I don't like the door corner
Thoughts, anyone?

And no, I'm not sure I'm in the correct forum, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_070430712.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070430712.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210604_070526075.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070526075.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210604_070558497.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070558497.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210604_070735542.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070735542.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210604_070707606_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070707606_HDR.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210604_070531892.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070531892.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210604_070746153.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070746153.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210604_070707606_HDR(1).jpg
    IMG_20210604_070707606_HDR(1).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210604_070731141.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070731141.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210604_070640262.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070640262.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 32

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
Few more can't hurt.....

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_070427897.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070427897.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210604_070606788.jpg
    IMG_20210604_070606788.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 21
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 20

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Well, to be honest th exterior rust isn’t too bad in my mind, but there’s enough creepy looking stuff going on underneath, I’d pass on it…unless it was like a few hundred dollars title in hand. That gaping hole in the unibody is red flag weather to my eyes. But, if you’re handy with a welder…

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
You mean the hole where the harness is? I can't figure out if that is a rust hole, or if someone actually cut it to access the wiring.
I don't see how its possible, a spot could rust through like that?- unless water sat in the drivers side for months maybe.
But then you'd think the carpet inside would be ruined. It hasn't been replaced.....
What creepy stuff are you seeing? My '02 Wrangler has quite a lot of undercarriage rust. They seem to be made to rust out.
I thought it looked somewhat better than my '02, other than the strange hole and the skirt damage.

My biggest concern is anything that might make driving the vehicle dangerous. I can't afford to be too picky, its hard to find something with only 75K miles at a price I can afford.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
You mean the hole where the harness is? I can't figure out if that is a rust hole, or if someone actually cut it to access the wiring.
I don't see how its possible, a spot could rust through like that?- unless water sat in the drivers side for months maybe.
But then you'd think the carpet inside would be ruined. It hasn't been replaced.....
What creepy stuff are you seeing? My '02 Wrangler has quite a lot of undercarriage rust. They seem to be made to rust out.
I thought it looked somewhat better than my '02, other than the strange hole and the skirt damage.

My biggest concern is anything that might make driving the vehicle dangerous. I can't afford to be too picky, its hard to find something with only 75K miles at a price I can afford.
It looks cut to me too…for what reason is what I find off putting. Given there’s a non waterproof wiring connection there, I’d be fearful.

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
>>unless it was like a few hundred dollars title in hand.>>

Seriously, a few hundred dollars? The Kelly bluebook value of the vehicle for year and mileage, options (6 cyl, 4wd, tow harness, etc) came out to around $3900-$4200.
That's quite a hit for the rust! I mean I don't like it either, but I would think you could use something like Rust Neutralizer and paint. As far as the hole, screw a stainless plate over it. Just strange location for it

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
>>unless it was like a few hundred dollars title in hand.>>

Seriously, a few hundred dollars? The Kelly bluebook value of the vehicle for year and mileage, options (6 cyl, 4wd, tow harness, etc) came out to around $3900-$4200.
That's quite a hit for the rust! I mean I don't like it either, but I would think you could use something like Rust Neutralizer and paint. As far as the hole, screw a stainless plate over it. Just strange location for it
Got mine for 500$ and all that was really wrong with was bad CVs on the forward prop shaft, a bad window regulator clip, and a swingate full of parts that needed lubed!

if you have a code reader, it’d be interesting to see what it says. If it’s blank, I’d be worried they wiped it.

As for the rust, remember this is a unibody Jeep. Bad structural cancer is bad news.

To me that hole says some knucklehead was MacGuyvering stuff, so I’d wonder what else was jury rigged.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
There are many Libertys out there under $1500 if you look around. Mine was less than that and everything functioned. We won’t discuss the Michigan cancer it has tho. :) Rockers are gone, one door is well rusted. I don’t care because it gets about 5000 miles a year now.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very fishy first post, in my opinion.

DRAlexis

Reaction score
I think you could find something cheaper and better