Ok, So....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Tomorrow's plan: Detail the Jeep back to like new.

1. Wash and dry the Jeep
2. Clay the Jeep - Going to use the megs. clay kit I saw in wally world for $15 the other day
3. Polish? (is this part really necessary?)
4. Wax

Am I missing anything? Never worked with a clay bar before, and i've read all through the posts in the detailing section, and watched the videos, doesn't look too hard at all.

The plan is to have it in the garage for everything but the washing, that is unless I can clay it safely outside in the sun? (i'd really like to...supposed to be a beautiful 80 tomorrow and I really need to get a tan going :D )

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You miss the very special liquid we all call "Beer" lots of aftermarket just get the ones that goes a long way. It makes everything easy and I personaly think it works like seafoam. :D:D good luck i still have my meg clay bar kit on standby havent found the courage to start it. :D Good luck.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the clay bar and it didn't really do much. Then again I have a 2006 so not much stuff to pick up really. Now my 2002 Escape that's a different story. It will probably freak the heck out doing that one.

2003KJ

Reaction score
You miss the very special liquid we all call "Beer" lots of aftermarket just get the ones that goes a long way. It makes everything easy and I personaly think it works like seafoam. :D:D good luck i still have my meg clay bar kit on standby havent found the courage to start it. :D Good luck.

There will be plenty of that, trust me :)

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yey for Beer!

Hmmmm. Im more concerned about the roof i guess it needs more attention since its not like the ones we can reach easily by washing or wiping so im guessing it will get most of the build ups.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so....I am a clay bar virgin. I must confess. I bought a kit last summer and wasn't sure since I never used one before and I chickened out and didn't use it yet.......Ok, so now that I confessed to the whole world wide web I'll have to watch this thread to build up some confidence.

No beer came with my kit so that must be sold seperately....:D

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you use alot of lube with the clay. You do not want to hit a dry part of the paint with the clay. Do not push down on the clay, just let it glide over the surface. Fold the clay over when you can see contaminates building up and kneed out clean clay.

If you drop it then its no good.

In your situation its best to use a cleaner wax after the claying tim. It will clean, polish, and wax the paint all in one step. The only thing about cleaner wax is the durability isnt the best in the world so its a good idea to use a good wax like Megs #26 or Megs NXTv2.0 after the cleaner wax.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sooooo.....is it done yet.....or what???? Where's the pic's?????

How many beers does it take to claybar a jeep anyway.......:D

Dave

2003KJ

Reaction score
Well it's done....the non existent pics are on the non-existent camera I have (it's on the list of things to buy soon).

Turned out really well for having never clayed a vehicle before. I was amazed at how much actually came off.

I'll have to remember that about the wax Blake. I picked up a bigger bottle of the cleaner wax and used that, and am real happy with the results....and considering the thunderstorm I got caught in on the highway coming back yesterday, i'm glad I did this friday (hail, LOTS of water, really windy).

As for how many beers, I dont know because I lost track shortly after I started :D

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you didnt run out of lubricant and started spraying beer for it. :D

Latest posts

Members online