Oil usage help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2 jeeps

Reaction score
I have a question on oil consumption with the 2 Jeeps i take care of. I know its probably been covered. I have looked and got good information.
The Jeeps are 2002 Renegade with 235,*** miles and a 2008 Liberty with 160,*** miles
They are both driven by our grandchildren who live local. Looking to get a handle on oil use based on age and miles. They both have the 3.7 engine, the 2002 has the regular transmission and the Liberty has the CVT (!)
They both do not appear to smoke, out of the tail pipe.
I have only owned both of them a few years. Use is infrequent and have not got a handle on what to expect on oil use.
Note they both use oil more than i would think. I understand the age and miles.
What is things we can do to help the oil use? I see cleaning the PVC is commonly mentioned, which i plan to do. Any thing else to help excessive oil use? Oil leaks a present but not excessive?
The 2002 Jeep has a yellow coating on the inside of the oil fill neck and underside of the cap?

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The yellow coating is what comes from short drives and not warming them up enough
Several people have the same issues where they drive just a few miles
take em out and run them till they warm up real well 2 times a month or so at least
As far as your 08 , 160,000 is low miles and if it is a Liberty it does not have a CVT transmission
How much oil are they using in how many miles , that info would help answer your questions

2 jeeps

Reaction score
They do not get driven enough, just short trips.
The 2008, miles is not bad i know. In the old days a car with that mileage would be ready for the crusher for sure.
The 2008 does have a CVT transmission. I pulled it two years ago and fixed a few things, mainly the transmission drive belt. Not something for the faint of heart. I ran the VIN on the factory equipment listing site i found on this site, to double check.
I have requested the family help log oil use and mileage so i can better report it. Now it just seems like its leaving as fast as we put it in? Got to get some good data.
My curiosity on the 2002 oil use is coupled with a loss of coolant lately. Is there a connection in the two? Coolant does not appear to drip and wonder where is it going?
Our son who is currently using the 2002 everyday had told me the heater was not working on several days we have had single digit temp, last month. Found the overflow was about a quart low. I cant see a "full hot" mark on the overflow chamber, i can see the "fill to cold level" Hope this helps the heat with more fluid flow?
Pic is the yellow oil fill.
Thank again
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

What model is your 2008 ?

Jeep has only ever used them, CVTs, in the Jeep Patriot and the Jeep Compass. These two models were two of only three that Chrysler ever used a CVT, the other being the Dodge Caliber.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to do compression test on both
Pressure check on the cooling system on both
and then go from there

and forget about the film in filler tube , drive them and get them fully warmed up
short drives are a killer

2 jeeps

Reaction score
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

What model is your 2008 ?

Jeep has only ever used them, CVTs, in the Jeep Patriot and the Jeep Compass. These two models were two of only three that Chrysler ever used a CVT, the other being the Dodge Caliber.
Patriot, also I said they both had the same engine, that's not correct. The 2008 patriot a smaller engine 2.4?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Patriot, also I said they both had the same engine, that's not correct. The 2008 patriot a smaller engine 2.4?
OK now that is making sense
That is what was confusing me saying CVT trans, same 3.7
now we are a little more clear
Don't try to confuse a Jeep owner ( various models ) since the 1970s LOL

Reaction score
My 2005 Liberty 3.7 used a lot of oil when I first got it with 140,000 miles. It never smoked or leaked, and I initially suspected the PCV. Compression was 175-180 psi on all cylinders, so no **** by on piston rings. Problem was worn out valve guide seals. After replacing those, it does not use any oil between changes (approx 6000 mile intervals).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Using a full synthetic engine oil in 5w-30 for KJ can greatly help with the foamy build up & consumption. I use Pennzoil platinum in my Jeep.
As Tom mentioned short trips & colder weather without the engine being fully warmed up and driven, was the major contributing factor.
Jeep later issued a Technical service bulletin & I updated to a larger PCV ++. Link here: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/upgrade-your-pcv-system-tsb-25-001-08.59416/
I dont know how difficult it is to find the updated TSB parts today.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the LIBERTY, crank it up, pull the dipstick out while running and check for suction or **** out on the end of the dipstick tube. If you have it there it may be an easy fix.

Shut it off, open the airbox, check the foam side filter where the breather tube comes into the airbox. Clean it or replace it. I cut a new piece of foam for mine.

Repeat the suction/blowout test. If you still have either, replace the PCV valve.

Mine was consuming a lot and I started noticing drips on the drive too. At first I thought the oil filter or the oil sending unit was leaking because there was oil all over it. Turned out what was really going on was my breather filter was clogged and my PCV was bad. It was sucking oil through the PCV and pushing oil out the front main seal and it was flinging over on the oil filter, etc.

Luckily the leak stopped and the consumption went way way down.

I have developed a habit over the years that I check the oil in anything I am driving every time I fill the tank. Well except this stupid turbo charged Acura. That thing has to be sitting over night so all the oil drips down off the stick and out of the tube before you can actually read the dipstick. HATE THAT. Oh and I keep nice even oil change intervals. So any time I know how many miles it has been since it was full. If I have to add I write it down.

Its hard when you have multiple vehicles and multiple drivers. You have to adopt some sort of procedure and push until everyone follows it... and let everyone know they are responsible and you will check behind them occasionally... and if female, being a girl is not an excuse.

I don't have grand kids yet. But imagine I will be doing the same when I do. I find that my wife and kids do pretty well because they know they are going to be responsible for any issues due to letting fluids run low.

When we were growing up, many of us drove vehicles that if you did not check them they would leave you on the side of the road in short order... you know the ones where you fill up the oil and check the gas, lol. A lot of young people today don't even know how to open their hoods. A lot haven't had to, and a lot have no one to show them anything.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely get what you're saying about multiple vehicles, I've got 5. Maybe that's not a lot, but it keeps me busy. One of them is a 2019 hybrid and all maintenance and repairs are completely covered, so I've made it my goal to never open the hood on that one. I've come to find however, that scheduling, dropping off, and picking up takes nearly as much time. Other than that my newest vehicle is the 2011 nissan juke(bit of a headache but the Mrs loves it) and oldest most driven other than the hybrid is my 95.5 Tacoma. I got no problems keeping busy.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil filler neck foaming can be potentially solved with replacing the PVC system that's tied to the crankcase like the later KJ models.

2 jeeps

Reaction score
Great info
When I can get the cars and the weather cooperates I've got several things to look at. Thanks again

Latest posts

Members online