Oil pressure warning light 2005 Jeep Liberty

amerbeauty97

Reaction score
Hi! Me again with the 2005 Jeep Liberty; just about 89k in mileage. So I had a high mileage oil change done on the 24th. Today after driving approximately 50-60 miles, my oil pressure warning light started to go on and off but luckily no noise or difference in driving. Noticed it went off when the RPM was over 2. Took it back to have the components of the oil changed checked (as close to where I was as possible; 3.2 miles) and they said everything is correct and that oil levels are good. Said it was probably a sensor but they don’t do it there. Drove home (30 miles) and still had it intermittently going on and off but more frequently even at 65 mph and stayed on longer. Went straight to the mechanic but he can’t do anything until Tuesday due to the holiday. Oil level was still good and still no noise under the hood. What’s my best course of action to make it to Tuesday? Thanks for any help or advice.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just the oil pressure switch mounted right above the oil filter , they go bad
have a MOPAR one installed ( only )
If oil is correct level, go.....

amerbeauty97

Reaction score
Just the oil pressure switch mounted right above the oil filter , they go bad
have a MOPAR one installed ( only )
If oil is correct level, go.....
Thanks! I read through the others but saw that they had compounding events that happened like stalling or noise so I was questioning myself. I definitely will have them use only mopar. Is there a reliable place where I can see part costs so I can estimate what I’m looking at financially? Thankfully, I’m not going on any long term expeditions but I just wanted to check that if I have to go to the store, I have a good chance of being ok so long as I check the oil level.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensors get gummed up from time to time. Can take it out and clean it up, but if going that far, just as well to replace.

Grumpacus

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing, figured the sensor was bad, turned out it just needed to be pushed in all the way.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The socket is nice, but not necessary. I went ahead and bought the socket mostly because I was replacing the sender on my Yukon about the same time. That one is a blind drop between the firewall and intake manifold while sitting on the battery. It's nice having a socket that holds the sensor on the way down.

sumosumo

Reaction score
Hi! Me again with the 2005 Jeep Liberty; just about 89k in mileage. So I had a high mileage oil change done on the 24th. Today after driving approximately 50-60 miles, my oil pressure warning light started to go on and off but luckily no noise or difference in driving. Noticed it went off when the RPM was over 2. Took it back to have the components of the oil changed checked (as close to where I was as possible; 3.2 miles) and they said everything is correct and that oil levels are good. Said it was probably a sensor but they don’t do it there. Drove home (30 miles) and still had it intermittently going on and off but more frequently even at 65 mph and stayed on longer. Went straight to the mechanic but he can’t do anything until Tuesday due to the holiday. Oil level was still good and still no noise under the hood. What’s my best course of action to make it to Tuesday? Thanks for any help or advice.
Just change the oil pressure sensor .i had the same issue with both my kids jeep lib 04 and 05 3.7l .its the sensor ,easy to change

jdom5274

Reaction score
Don’t be so quick to indict the sending unit. These oil change locations are using 5w-30 oil and no longer use 10w. These KJ’s were engineered in the early 2k’s and don’t have the proper heat treated parts to use 5w oils. I strictly use 10w - 40 oils in my wife ‘04 and no longer does the oil light go off even near zero degrees F. Oil is always cheaper than wiping out an engine

Jar

Reaction score
MOPAR parts fail because they go with the cheapest manufacturer with the best tolarences. Just change the oil pressure switch. This happened on my daughters 02 Liberty and my 02 Ram. Both replaced with box store parts. No problems for many years. MOPAR fails like any other(Chevy/Ford/Toyota/Nissan/Honda and so on); buisness is based on this practice. TRW is sold and labled as MOOG! So is moog a factory part sold at a lower price or MOPAR better. MOPAR is not your only choice, just do your home work!

dutch

Reaction score
The socket is nice, but not necessary. I went ahead and bought the socket mostly because I was replacing the sender on my Yukon about the same time. That one is a blind drop between the firewall and intake manifold while sitting on the battery. It's nice having a socket that holds the sensor on the way down.

jdom5274

Reaction score
Don’t be so quick to indict the sending unit. These oil change locations are using 5w-30 oil and no longer use 10w. These KJ’s were engineered in the early 2k’s and don’t have the proper heat treated parts to use 5w oils. I strictly use 10w - 40 oils in my wife ‘04 and no longer does the oil light go off even near zero degrees F. Oil is always cheaper than wiping out an engine
Update: last Friday (1/28/22) the oil light went off while coming up to a stop light. Outside temp About 24 deg F. After checking oil level when back home and finding it right on target I found my new sensor in my stock. Today (1/30/22) I changed the sensor after I installed a tee for a real gauge. At startup oil pressure near 75 lbs cold. After allowing to get to full temp at idle - 45 lbs. outside temp was 28 deg. I replaced sensor and capped the tee so I could check again in the future. The 10w-40 still in there. With all respect to our moderator, the higher milage over 75k needs to increase the viscosity over the factory recommendations. The lower weight oils are attempts to bump up the CAFE fuel averages at the expense of the motor. Oil is ALWAYS cheaper that motor replacement or overhaul.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With all respect to you I have one 03 KJ at 175,000 plus and one 04 KJ at 234,000 and both still run 5-30, both use hardly any ( less than 1/3 of a quart , between changes and only run Mobil ( and not the high mileage stuff either )
When I do OLF for any of my customers I use the same as well
I'll debate the use any time you want to Sir
Believe what you want , older cars from the 60 and 70 maybe yes, newer ones no

Using oil that is thicker than recommended may lead to a decrease in fuel economy, a higher load on your engine, and even a shorter life for your engine. Conversely, using thinner, lighter-weight oil than recommended can cause excessive wear and shorter life.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the higher oil pressure on startup is a pretty good indicator of the engine under increased load, but what do I know? Just thinking logically. Tom, why not the high mileage stuff from mobil? What do you know?