Oil Pans Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This came in today, still waiting on the new plug and pan itself but I'm about to undertake a new adventure in DIY. I've only found a few threads on other forums with very vague descriptions of how to do this without the craziness of engine pulls. Ours is a 4WD so I'm curious if there is anything around here or anyone with insight before I tackle this new project.

I'm hoping this is the end of the oil issues as we have been experiencing missing oil for awhile now with no drips or smoke, until I went to do an oil change this week and noticed weeping all around the pan seal. I guess the extreme weather (sub zero temps) finally brought out the worst in it.

Maybe I can do a write up myself but I swear a member here was going to do the same but cannot locate anything in the How To and a search of "oil pan" returned nothing. So I'm looking for insight, tips, or links to places that will be useful in my work. I should note I picked up all the parts needed from Amazon for $100, all Mopar.

You must be registered for see images

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check higher on the motor for the oil leak, oil sender, valve covers, crank seal. Pan seals don’t usually go bad, although some pans can rust out .

From what I’ve seen on a 4x4 commander the pan is difficult to get out in vehicle, some talk about dropping the suspension enough to get the pan free.
My experience is the oil pan gasket doesn’t like to let go of the pan, and then the gasket bolts up near the oil pick up tube.
It’s a tough job in vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2. I don't know if you'll be able to get it out without removing the front diff.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With modern cats you can burn up to 1 qt of oil per 500 miles and see no smoke out of the tailpipe.Of course it will take the cats out after some time.

Eitherway you look at it replacing the oil pan on a KJ is not easy.Doing it outside or in a non-heated garage will make you want to off yourself this time of the year unless you live in Florida.

The cradle must be dropped 6" or more or the engine pulled.I've done a few on WK's with the 3.7 and that takes 4 hours still on a lift and proper tools and the WK is 1000% easier then a KJ.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a leaking oil pressure sender (and one or both of the valve cover gaskets) and it collects on the pan. Start high and at the front. Even pull your fans out and look above the oil filter at the sender. Less work that dropping the cradle or pulling the engine.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to take a closer look tonight, parts are coming in but if I can ship them back and just get something easier done like a sender and front seal then I'd be happy. Maybe if I find one as the issue I'll do both since I'll be there?

Reading up a bit more it seems the oil pan can collect oil on top and have it seep over the sides as if it was leaking at the gasket. The pan itself is in good shape and not very rusty at all.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd put some dye in the oil and get a black light before firing up the parts cannon.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I already fired it up buying the oil pan stuff. Can the front crank seep down and only drip from the pan area? Now I'm eager to get home so I can dive in tonight.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Crank seal is pretty low, it should be obvious if it's leaking from there. Shit doesn't flow uphill.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some looking, oil sending unit is bone dry and the oil seems to only be on one side of the pan (passenger) and it is on the differential as well. I tried to trace it and the bottom crankshaft pulley looks like it has or had oil residue on it, maybe that is the source and it is puddling and dripping from the pan? I attached a bunch of pics, HELP!

Crank pulley

Around oil pan

Differential

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That would be the front crank seal...looks like I misspoke, it does line up with the oil pan.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it’s not dripping or really caked there because it’s running from the seal to the pan then forming and dripping?

Sounds like an easier job and cheaper parts.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Man, that's a shit ton of oil on the diff. Are you sure there's not a diff leak too?

Yep, it just keeps blowing back along the pan until it's big enough to drip.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll admit I spilled a bit when I topped it off the other day so it could be some runoff from my overfill idiocy.

Other than a seal pulling tool, gotta find a write up for this to get it done. Timken seal is under $15.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to tool up for this and found that using the appropriate gear puller is a big key to the ease of the job. I found this one but it does not list the 3.7 but basically all the other Chrysler V6's. Is there another one I should be looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Harmonic...0716Y8HYD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

That is the correct one.

A special pulley installer tool is available also to make putting the crank pulley on much easier also.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rented the tool from above. Picked up some new tools to add to my collection. Any idea which way the seal goes? Not sure if metal or rubber goes in first but I guess I’ll find out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online