oil leak on top of intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have puddle of oil on the driver side intake to the right of the first injector. Valve cover gaskets are new and are dry around the edges on both sides. I am not positive that is where the leak is , but the oil has puddled there. Any ideas on what the next thing to do is? I have not ever had an intake or plenum off one of these so this is new. Do we possibly have an intake gasket problem.

Thank you

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can't see it very well here , but between the injector and the blue grommet on valve cover

Attachments

• 20190809_201352_Burst01.jpg
    20190809_201352_Burst01.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 21

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It is hard to tell as I'm not there to inspect. Start by removing the coil pack and look down with a bright flashlight is there oil blow by around the spark plug?
An upper intake leak will have lower than normal manifold vacuum.
Spraying some water from spray bottle around the upper intake /effected area is a test- if then the rpm's change you found the leak.
Then it is refer to FSM and re-re the upper intake manifold gasket.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. No oil around spark plug and valve cover rail is dry. had unplugged coil packs and injectors thinking I may need to take valve cover off again so I will clean up oil and re-assemble everything and let it run. vacuum leak may be tough because we had a could issues to start with on smooth idle. Will spray and see what happens. Sorry .. does fsm mean some sort of service manual ? That sound like pulling intake and from what I have read that is a pain !!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the links. A lot of good information. I spent an hour looking through that last night. I did do the water test a couple times but had no change in idle. Cleaned up oil and let it run a good 30 minutes. after about 10 it smokes but did not puddle up beside the injector this time. I have had much bigger leaks on other vehicles that are not as big as a problem as this one. we do have an intermittent idle problem but the codes come back to 02 sensors and tps sensor. Did not have the tps problem until unhooking the plug to move wiring out of the way for valve cover removal. Key was never on during that process. Thank you for trying to help.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd try Changing the 0-ring on injector, replace the TPS with a Mopar one. A bad TPS can cause erratic idles/swings. What was code for 02 sensor?

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p0152 and 0158 for the 02 sensors. Found the connector to the TPS was not staying locked in place. Got that fixed and that made a world of difference in the car running. Drove about 15 miles and purred like a kitten.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now with the Tps connector fixed in place, clear the codes, does the P0152, P0158 return now?

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they are. When this engine was replaced they bypassed the egr valve. The metal tube was cut, flattened and welded up. The connector has been left unplugged. today a local shop recommended we put an egr on and hook things up the way they should be if we want the codes and CEL off. makes sense but we are missing the egr tube on the driver side.we are also missing a tube from the air filter box that runs to the passenger side box where the egr tube. The story was that this engine came out of an 07 liberty. it looks nothing like our 06 when it comes to these items. I also found another port capped on the back of the passenger side. It looks like another pvc valve port similar to the driver side.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20190815_201302_Burst01.jpg
    20190815_201302_Burst01.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.