Oil Leak-My 10 Day Old Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing a close inspection of the front end of my 07 Libby Sport last night, looking for TMPS sensors in the wheel wells, when I noticed oil on the skid plate. Hmmmm....I stuck my hand up in the skid access hole and behold, more oil in the oil drain "channel" that runs from under the oil filter to the access hole. I then noticed that there was a drip of oil coming off the oil filter. Looking around the engine bay, the only place I can see oil is dripping off of the oil filter. I tried to loosen/tighten the oil filter by hand and I could not move it either way.

I can only hope that it's as simple as a bad gasket on the oil filter. I made an appointment to have the dealer look at it, but that means a trip to the dealer, finding a ride from/to the dealer while they have the car. Yuck!

Anyone else have this issue so early in the life of their Libby?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what that channel is for is oil, so expect oil to be there, my bro whines about this on his wifes '05. I've noticed it on mine as well, but I never see any on the filter...if wasn't brand new I'd just stay it was a sloppy oil change, but that should be it's original filter...have you checked the oil, is it low?

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil is not low. I would be less concerned if it was just a oil film, but I'm seeing oil actively dripping from the filter (I don't know how fast, but fast enough to run down the channel an drip off onto the skid plate.)

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definantly a problem, and you have a new vehicle, dont they offer loaners where you bought your jeep?

I would not be to happy about my brand new jeep leaking like that.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good dealer would give you a loaner, and an equal loaner at that. Mine guaranteed an equal vehicle loaner whenever work was performed, and not on an as available basis, as well as state inspections for life. Either way it should be a simple gasket on the oil filter if it is definitely coming from there. Unless there is an imperfection in the metal on the engine which prevents a proper seal, which I doubt.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it was a bad filter gasket. The dealer put on a new filter and cleaned the engine bay where the oil had leaked. After a 30 mile drive home, no more leaking. Woot!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that it was just a bad oil filter gasket.