Oil Leak and Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Esox

Reaction score
Justed wanted to start by saying Hi as I'm new to the sight. I've found lots of good info here already, but need to ask a few further questions.

1. I have an oil leak on the passenger side which seams to be coming from around the valve cover. It is a very small leak, to the point that it doesn't drip to the ground. The problem is, it seems to be getting on the exhaust manifold, which is obviously burning it off creating a horrid smell. The smell gets inside the car when using the heater and idling anywhere for more that a few minutes. My KJ is an 02 with only 43K on it, so it seems odd that the valve cover gasket has failed. Anyone else had this problem?

2. I have CEL codes 300, 303, and 304. I have replaced my plugs already, but maybe I will do it again. I can't find anywhere which cylinders are 3 and 4. Any help on that?

Thanks!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a leak on that side. It gets on my starter, it seems to of stopped for now though.

Dont know about your codes.

Welcome to the site!!

2003KJ

Reaction score
This quote comes directly from the 2002 Factory Service Manual:

The 3.7 liter (226 CID) six-cylinder engine is an
90° single overhead camshaft engine. The cast iron
cylinder block is made up of two different components;
the first component is the cylinder bore and
upper block, the second component is the bedplate
that comprises the lower portion of the cylinder block
and houses the lower half of the crankshaft main
bearings. The cylinders are numbered from front to
rear with the left bank being numbered 1,3,and 5
and the right bank being numbered 2,4, and 6. The
firing order is 1–6–5–4–3–2.
The engine serial number
is located at the right front side of the engine
block.

As far as the codes go, P0300 means Random/Multiple Cylinder Missfire, and P0303 and P0304 indicate missfires in both clyinder's 3 & 4...which explains the P0300 code.

I have a copy of the 2002 FSM I can give to you if you're interested in it...lemme know.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
valve cover leak? Try tighting the valve cover to original specs. Don't overtighten!

Esox

Reaction score
THanks for the tips. I had found what the codes mean, but it seems strange that two coil packs would have failed at the same time. Hopefully it's something further up the line.

I'll try tightening the bolts on my valve cover as well. Should have been an obvious place to start I guess.