oil filter tool??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think the best tool is to remove and install the iol filter? Strap wrench, cap, etc..

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the factory installed filter will be the hardest. Took me 3 different tools to get that bugger off. When I finally did it looks like I had
used the filter for target practice.

You'll want something that will get a good grip around the body of the filter
(preferrably wide so that it doesn't crush the filter) and that gives you plenty of leverage.

I use the FRAM filters with the grippy surface and only hand tighten.
No need for tools anymore. Just has to be tight enough to stay put and not leak.

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filter

Agreed that factory filter needs superhuman strength to remove. After that one you probably won't need a tool. Hand tightening and removing should do the trick as long as you don't tighten them too much on the install. Did my first owner change at 4K miles to Mobil 1 syn and filter. Was easy as pie.

Here's a good tutorial on oil changes written by a TJ owner but same principles apply, just one less quart of oil.

http://jeep.us41.org/oil/