Oil Filter Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been said that the Ford PH8A oil filter works on the KJ. So I thought to myself that you probably can buy a Ford oil filter relocation kit and relocate the oil filter somewhere else. But the question is where would you mount the filter and would it work?

Here is the kit I'm looking to buy, it comes in single and dual filters: Summit Racing

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't work if it fits. The oil pressure will send the oil through the lines and through the filter and back to the motor. I'm not sure where you'd mount it. For example, the GMC Jimmy with the 4.3liter had a remote mounted oil filter on the drivers side fender and it is easy to change. You still need to get under the vehicle to drain the oil though.

On the 3.7liter Kj the filter is up high on the block so I don't think it is in much danger of getting wacked. It's easy to reach to change it with a cap type oil filter adapter and an ratchet + extension.

What would be the benefit of moving it?

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the oil filter on the KJ is really hard to get to and relocating it will ease removal for future oil changes.

Mine is really easy to get to (05) even with the skids on. Where is it on yours? Was it moved between the 02 and 05 years? You're doing it from underneith, right?

Dave

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is really easy to get to (05) even with the skids on. Where is it on yours? Was it moved between the 02 and 05 years? You're doing it from underneith, right?

Dave

I would say it was really easy, but it is not hard. I don't think it was change. Mine is behind the accessories near the PS box. I tried getting it from top and bottom, either way it's not easy!

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

It's a pain on an '02. Not so hard to reach the filter, but to pull it out without spilling on something is like a magic trick. Trying to weasel it down between the clutch fan and the swaybar/cross member makes my brain hurt.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a pain on an '02. Not so hard to reach the filter, but to pull it out without spilling on something is like a magic trick. Trying to weasel it down between the clutch fan and the swaybar/cross member makes my brain hurt.

Exactly what I was thinking!! :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

So maby there is something different. I wish I knew someone with an 02 then so I could look. I unscrew mine slowly and I spill some also, but only a very small amount due to the angle of it I think. I tilt the filter straight as soon as it is unthreaded and slowly pull it down and out. It's only a couple of tablespoons or so that I spill. It drops onto the plastic funnell that is built underneith it and drips out the hole in the skid and into my drain pan. I just reach in the hole in the skid wipe it off with a rag..

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave, where is your oil filter located?

Front of the block. I only use the cap on the filter to loosen it a quarter turn so I can take it off by hand.. What spills starts spilling then. I unscrew it by hand and turn it as straight as I can and bring it between the serpentine belt and sway bar. I've never done it without spilling any but I don't empty the entire contents or anything. I suppose you could tilt it sideways and let most of it run through the hole in the skid and into your pan. and just wipe it out afterwards.

Dave

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front of the block. I only use the cap on the filter to loosen it a quarter turn so I can take it off by hand.. What spills starts spilling then. I unscrew it by hand and turn it as straight as I can and bring it between the serpentine belt and sway bar. I've never done it without spilling any but I don't empty the entire contents or anything. I suppose you could tilt it sideways and let most of it run through the hole in the skid and into your pan. and just wipe it out afterwards.

Dave

Do you have the HD cooling fan? Mine always seems to get caught up in that region.

I've gotta change the oil this weekend, so i'll see how it goes.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I tried that cap type oil filter wrench. It *****.

That's the only type of oil filter wrench I use.

The way I remove mine is by standing up and reaching down and underneath the engine to unscrew it. To install the new one, I get on the ground on my back and install it from underneath.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those PH8 Ford filters will work on the KJ's.I ran them for awhile with zero problems.I had about 1" clearance between the filter and serp belt.The only reason I stopped using them was it sucked filling with 5 1/2 qts,the extra qt sucked cause you build up a collection of 1/2 empty bottles of oil.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hey, that looks familiar. What's funny is that filter survived without so much as a scratch. I can't say the same for the crossmember, rear bumper or engine skid.

Jeepman

Reaction score
I think changing the oil on the KJ is one of the easiset changes you can do. Jeep did a good job with the little details to help in the change. Like the hole in the skid to allow an extension on the rathet to lossen the oil pan plug. The funneling valley under the filter to guide the oil spilled from the filter down the valley and right into the pan you already have under the car. And the best part is the oversized filler tube and cap, just drop the quart of oil in the opening and it sits there all by itself and fills. It is great if you ask me. But this is also on my '05, don't about earlier models. I think Jeep hit the nail on the head with the engineering.

Now the spark plug leave something to be desired (see other thread topics).

As for hard vechiles to change oil in, I have had them ALL!
-1990 Toyota pickup (4 cyl)
-1986 Nissan 300ZX
-1997 Chevy Cavalier (worst in the world)!

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the 1998 Honda Prelude VTEC. Roommate that was less that mechanically inclined had one so I was always having to change his oil.