Oil filler cap difficult to unscrew

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is with the oil filler cap? This is my second KJ, why are they so hard to unscrew? On my 02' I put some white grease on the threads of the cap, and this helped. Now with my 04' I need to carry around a strap wrench, to get the dam thing off! I even tried swapping my 02' cap onto the 04', and it's still impossible for me to get it loose, by hand. Anybody have this same problem? Anyone found a solution? It's just driving me crazy!

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is with the oil filler cap? This is my second KJ, why are they so hard to unscrew? On my 02' I put some white grease on the threads of the cap, and this helped. Now with my 04' I need to carry around a strap wrench, to get the dam thing off! I even tried swapping my 02' cap onto the 04', and it's still impossible for me to get it loose, by hand. Anybody have this same problem? Anyone found a solution? It's just driving me crazy!

Mine is a pain also
It must just be how they are, maybe some minor grime or something of the like just gets in the threads and causes it to stick
I was having to remove mine earlier actually and was getting a little frustrated with it
It'll eventually come off you just have to have some nice forearms I guess !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All of mine are tight but can remove them by hand

NOW what drives me crazy is when I am asked to do something under the hood of someones and the dang cap is on upside down ! First thing I have to do is put it on right:icon_razz:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The secret is to use a bit of grease on both threads inside & cap threads.
There also is a removal tool!! :gr_grin:
Link: Lisle Corporation

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cap can get a bit stiff too, but I've always been able to remove it. Instead of white grease, maybe try some Kentucky Jelly, it's a non-petroleum lube. The stiff cap is so common, Lisle makes a wrench for it, part #34000. Until the wrench arrives, eat your Wheaties! ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having such a hard time i keep pliers in my drivers side door. Found a small pair that fit perfect. I used to put some leather gloves on and take it right off but its easier to have a tool for it. Less stress.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I take mine off 20-25 times a day just to build up my hand and arm muscles
Comes in real handy with some of these limp hand shakers we have bred over the last 25 years :gr_grin:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do schools still offer weight training? Maybe they should add Jeep oil cap turning to the program. If that doesn't turn you into a real man, nothing will.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True that. I used to get frustrated knowing i need oil and struggling to get it off. Easier to use the channel locks. Beats up the cap a little but well worth it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOW what drives me crazy is when I am asked to do something under the hood of someones and the dang cap is on upside down ! First thing I have to do is put it on right:icon_razz:

Ha! so I'm not the only one. :gr_grin:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have trouble with mine too but I do get it off with a little force. I always oil the threads good and it still is hard to unscrew. A little extra force and a couple of 4 letter words seems to work for me.

Dave

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Lisle tool and I clean and lube the threads whenever I take it off.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes on the cap I recommended "that" product in 2014 before...
Just be prepared to get razzed!~ :gr_grin:
Post # 17 link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/your-oil-fill-cap-difficult-remove-56077/index2.html

Vaseline is a petroleum product, as is motor oil and conventional grease. If the motor oil swelling the rubber is the suspect, then Vaseline isn't going to be any better. That's why I suggested trying Kentucky (KY) Jelly. It's water soluble, and not petroleum based. I have a tube in the garage (not the only place), you never know when you're going to need to slip something into a squeaky tight spot. :emotions33:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Never had any trouble, myself...

You must be registered for see images attach

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess everyone's going to have to use their super human strength.
looks like it is OOS everywhere.

except paying a extra on ebay

Last edited: