Oil fill cap tight!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted Williams

Reaction score
I did a quick search and can't find it addressed. 03 Limited 3.7. I like the size of the oil fill cap/ tube. A built in funnel, if you will. But mine is stupid tight. I need to keep a pair of channel locks on board just to open it.

Anyone else have this problem, or a fix?

Thanks, Ted

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they can be on there super tight & a pain to get off.
You can use a bit of ATF+4/ grease around the oil cap side & rubber 0-ring, that helps greatly.
There is also an oil cap wrench - Lisle part #34000 is the correct part to get it off.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ted Williams

Reaction score
Will try the lubrication. Part looks like it's out of stock everywhere, so probably discontinued.
I might try a small strap wrench.

Thanks, Ted.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Number 598,423
I think that is how many times that has come up over the last 16 years
Just have to be a manly man and grab it a growl

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
New to this forum too and this fill cap was stupidly tight, took it off and cleaned all the varnish off with paint thinners. Wow what a thick coating of varnish, wondering what the engine internals look like.
Then I had some Dow Corning O-Ring lube, put a spear on the cap threads and O-Ring and it opens so easily now.
Also checked the PVC while I was in the area, still rattles like it supposed to do.
Now I know why all the channel lock pliers teeth marks are on this oil fill cap.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That Dow product for o-ring sounds very interesting and glad to hear that works well.
I have not had the oil cap off in 7 months, due for an oil change soon.
I guess I got lucky, cold the cap came off ok, as last time ATF+ and a tad of petroleum jelly applied.
I recently came across this lubricant spray with teflon, that quietened down the motorcycle chain instantly, it' clear too.
Just spayed some of the teflon spay with a bit of ATF+4 on side and o-ring, lets see if that works ok, will report back.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
That Dow product for o-ring sounds very interesting and glad to hear that works well.
You must be registered for see images
I just get it in a 5 ounce tube, posted this picture so you can read what uses it's for on the can, great stuff and I'm almost out of it.
Use it on most of my rubber components

Ted Williams

Reaction score
Since I couldn't find the tool online....I made one. Good to work in metal fabrication/production.

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_120706355~2.jpg
    IMG_20200827_120706355~2.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 17