Oil change SNAFU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my oil and filter today.
As I discarded the empty jugs, I noticed that I had (2) 5W-30 and the other 3 were 5W-20.:thumbsdown

They must have been mixed up on the shelf and I didn't double check them when I threw them into the cart. Yeah, bone head move.

I run synthetic oil if that matters.

Is this going to cause issues?
Should I redo the oil change immediately?
Do I do another oil change sooner that scheduled, or can I just carry on and stop worrying about it?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're in WI, heading into fall...you'll probably be OK. (The only way to know for sure if your oil is too thin is with an oil pressure gauge.) Later 3.7s were spec'd for 5W20 if that makes you feel better.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'll be fine for a change. The 5-30 evens out the 20. So it'll be like 5-23 in your engine. Also x2 later 3.7s in WKs were speced for 5-20

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's just fine but I would have to change it pretty quick so I could sleep at night.:)

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DDDddaaayyynnnggggg, I wish that was all I had to worry about!

A total non-issue.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
5-23 is dang close, now all I want to know is: Do you get 1 mpg better fuel economy? :icon_lol:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DDDddaaayyynnnggggg, I wish that was all I had to worry about!
Bob

It's just another little thing added to my list lately. Glad I can at least check this one off...only 99 more problems to go:emotions34:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally wouldn't sweat it.

It would be different if you put 3 qts of 10w40 or 20w50.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be worse once i dropped my trans pan and put the 5 quarts of new ATF+4 in my engine oil. So the engine had 5 quarts too many and my trans was 5 quarts short. I was lucky when i put her in gear she didnt go anywhere. If she did i never would have noticed.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've also noticed that since switching to synthetic oil, the KJ seems to be using oil. Not a lot, but I do find myself having to top it off from time to time whereas I never needed to add any before.:shrug:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've also noticed that since switching to synthetic oil, the KJ seems to be using oil. Not a lot, but I do find myself having to top it off from time to time whereas I never needed to add any before.:shrug:

That's the exact thing that I noticed, also started tapping so I bumped up to 10-30 and no more tapping noise and less oil usage

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
We weren't scheduled for another oil thread until sometime in October... :happy175:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be worse once i dropped my trans pan and put the 5 quarts of new ATF+4 in my engine oil. So the engine had 5 quarts too many and my trans was 5 quarts short. I was lucky when i put her in gear she didnt go anywhere. If she did i never would have noticed.

Good thing you weren't also doing a coolant flush at the same time!!! :happy175:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing you weren't also doing a coolant flush at the same time!!! :happy175:

Ha ha yea i probably would have put atf in there too. After i noticed my mistake i had to go back to autozone and give the guys a good laugh. Get some more atf and the materials for an oil change it was fun. Live and learn atf doesnt go in the engine oil.:happy175:

Latest posts

Members online