Oh goody! U-joints!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geof3

Reaction score
Well... looks like I get to change out some u-joints. Rear drive shaft. I've suspected all along, but after a good highway drive and a closer inspection I'm 99% sure they are shot. Front in particular.

The questions I have are part number for the Dana Spicer greasable and the crimp clamps. My outer dimension is about 88mm (3.46") and it seems the 1310 is the proper series. Which actual U-joint? Also, the front boot looks to be in fine shape. The crimp clamps on the boot will obviously need to be replaced. Is that a dealer only part, or can any clamp be used? There is, no doubt, a special tool for the crimp style... any direction on that would be great. Fun project #4 coming up!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Crimp clamps? You mean those goofy looking inside clips?

My rear u-joint died first. Change them both... Greaseable is good... grease them. good luck!

Geof3

Reaction score
Crimp clamps? You mean those goofy looking inside clips?

My rear u-joint died first. Change them both... Greaseable is good... grease them. good luck!

No, the clamps on the boot where the drive shaft connects to the trans. No worries though, I found a solution. Easy.

Need to be sure I get the correct ones.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For those, I actually just push the boot off with a screw driver and put it back on the same way. I've had the rear driveshaft off 5 or 6 times, never had to replace those crimp clamps on the boot.

Geof3

Reaction score
Looks like I may not be doing the full job. I have to uninstall and install. A driveline shop here in town will tear down, install the U's (spicer 5-1310x) and balance the drive shaft for 130.00. Normally, I'm pretty much a DIY guy, but in this case, I think I'm letting these guys do it. I have no way to balance the DS and I think given it's age/mileage its a good thing to do.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never had to have mine rebalanced in over 220,000 miles and two sets of ujoints

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just changed both u joints on my KJ. Didnt balance the drive shaft and now no more driveline vibes

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, never have balanced mine either, on the 3rd set of U joints.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always DIYed U joints. Hated doing them to, now there's a tool to press them in and out. Looks like huge c-clamp. Much easier job with the right tool.

Btw I've never had a shop balance the drive shafts either. Not a bad idea, and if you don't have the tool to press them out it might be worth it to pay the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof3

Reaction score
I would be doing the "hammer/socket method!" Has worked well enough in the past. I think, for this round, the heavy duty, solid cross, U's are about 60.00 and they will install and balance for $70.00. I figure at least this way I start at zero... Which is my goal, to know EXACTLY what happens to this truck from here on out. It is in good enough condition (no rust or otherwise) I plan to keep it for the long haul. Just another step into getting it totally sorted.

Geof3

Reaction score
Got my driveshaft all refurbed and installed. I'm actually glad I went ahead and did the balance. It required about 2oz at the transfer case side. So I now have a nice tight drive system. Feels great. They wound up only charging me $110.00 total for the job, blasted and painted too. $ well spent this time around.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had mine done after first set of ujoints were giving me a bad vibe. was similar dollars in Canadian.
Was worth it when i saw what they added in weight.

Much better.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always DIYed U joints. Hated doing them to, now there's a tool to press them in and out. Looks like huge c-clamp. Much easier job with the right tool.

Btw I've never had a shop balance the drive shafts either. Not a bad idea, and if you don't have the tool to press them out it might be worth it to pay the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the U-Joints on my Titan with Moog a couple months back and borrowed one of those press tools from my local part store and it was so easy. I was going to buy my own tool but the local supply store didn't have any left in stock. Next time I need to do any I will just buy the tool as it also does ball joints too.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the U-Joints on my Titan with Moog a couple months back and borrowed one of those press tools from my local part store and it was so easy. I was going to buy my own tool but the local supply store didn't have any left in stock. Next time I need to do any I will just buy the tool as it also does ball joints too.

I've done several drive shafts and axels since i got the tool. Huge difference, worth every penny.
Amazon has a well rated one. Pretty sure it's OTC.
Price has gone up since I bought mine but I'd buy it again in a heart beat if I had to.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a bench mounted vice
been doing U-Joints that way for 40 years, works for other things as well
I have heard of such tools but never seen a need:gr_grin::icon_razz::icon_razz:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bench mounted vice
been doing U-Joints that way for 40 years, works for other things as well
I have heard of such tools but never seen a need:gr_grin::icon_razz::icon_razz:

Always used the bench vice too. That's the way my dad taught me 40+ years ago. :gr_grin:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always used the bench vice too. That's the way my dad taught me 40+ years ago. :gr_grin:

Never had the luxury of a bench vise. Been wanting to get one for years, got a tool bench for Christmas so I've got a place for it now.
Basically the tool does the job when a vice is not available. Very easy to use.

The old school way of hammering it out ***** .

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had the luxury of a bench vise. Been wanting to get one for years, got a tool bench for Christmas so I've got a place for it now.
Basically the tool does the job when a vice is not available. Very easy to use.

The old school way of hammering it out ***** .

I use my bench vise too, sometimes need to use a hammerfer with the socket to remove a stubborn joint.
1) Buy the "special tool" and use it once or twice, then let it collect dust in the tool chest. Or,
2) Get a bench vise, use it for replacing the u-joints, and then you'll have it handy for a multitude of other uses in the future.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my bench vise too, sometimes need to use a hammerfer with the socket to remove a stubborn joint.

1) Buy the "special tool" and use it once or twice, then let it collect dust in the tool chest. Or,

2) Get a bench vise, use it for replacing the u-joints, and then you'll have it handy for a multitude of other uses in the future.

I usually never buy a special tool. In this case for me it's been worth it, plus I can take it with me for other jobs. At my home I didn't have a good place for a vise until recently, been on my list for a long time now.

I agree If someone has a bench vise this is superfluous, if it's for someone will work on ujoint a only once a blue moon it's probably a waste of money.