Odd Whine between 60 and 65 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, this has always happened ever since I bought the Jeep. I have a whine, ONLY HAPPENS between 60 and 65. I can not locate the origin of the noise I have heard its a Jeep thing with some Rear Differentials. Noise doesn't seem to be coming from the rear, to me it sounds like from the front passenger side but I know it isn't the bearing (I've gone through two sets of bearings) and I don't have 4WD so that rules out any front drive train issues. Of course I am partially hearing impaired in my right ear of course my wife is hearing impaired and I don't joke (other than I constantly tell her I am going to buy her hearing aids for her birthday or Christmas) so using her to help me locate noises and track them is useless (I tried before when I had the awful rattling coming from several different spots. She told me I was nuts and she didn't hear anything.) One of my guesses it possibly it might be with transmission, the clutch is an aftermarket. But I drive at about 62 on the interstate in the city and I have always driven that pace and it has quite a few thousand miles of being driven at that speed. Whine that constant at that speeds driven constantly should have done something I would think but I may be wrong. So I'm at a loss what what this noise is.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea - but I have something similar... and the same hearing issues !!!!

Mine sounds like the same area, but I can get it to come and go with slightly different throttle positions.

Checked for vacuum leaks, air leaks on the air filter - intake tube.

I also thought at 1st it might be a bearing, but more and more NOT.

Only difference - mine is a 4x.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a whine once that came from the passenger side too. The next time out, I left the wife at home. ;)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Front passenger side hmm.....could it be a wind noise whine....???
53335[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Just to eliminate one potential noise, remove air intake and see if that may be the "whine"..??
My roof basket also has a good howl at 65 but then I just crank up the tunes !!:gr_grin:

Attachments

• Jeep%20Air%20intake.jpg
    Jeep%20Air%20intake.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guarantee mine is not wind noise, unless the throttle position could affect it :)

I'll try the intake horn though. Might even throw an air filter replacement in - though it looks good.

FWIW - I had all kinds of wind noise around the windshield moldings, it's stuffed full of black rope caulk now.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've swapped filters since I run a K&N Drop in. But its only for less than 5 mph it does it then it goes away, peaks at 63 mph for noise then dies off by 65 mph.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update _ solved

Quote my own post...

I had this noise for over a year and maybe 5000 miles.

Finally - gone. I just replaced the water pump as it had a small leak, bearings still seemed fine. After that it was noticeably quieter, at speed, noise is gone.

My guess, and just a guess is that when I put the serpentine belt back on I swapped the direction - maybe for some reason like rotating a noisy tire????

Belt had maybe 10-15000 on it - looked fine. Someday when it gets warmer I may note and rotate it on purpose.

I seem to vaguely remember to always put back on in the same direction. Anyone ever hear this?

No idea - but I have something similar... and the same hearing issues !!!!

Mine sounds like the same area, but I can get it to come and go with slightly different throttle positions.

Checked for vacuum leaks, air leaks on the air filter - intake tube.

I also thought at 1st it might be a bearing, but more and more NOT.

Only difference - mine is a 4x.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belt has been replaced, with Goodyear Gatorback so it has a supercharger scream at high rpms love that sound, water pump has been replaced as well. Unknown but thinking might be differential fluid. Unfortunately I do not have days off during the week on a set schedule so I am unable to get into a shop to get the rear diff taken care of.

Latest posts

Members online