OBD codes on 2004 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The check-engine light is on.

What is the correct procedure that will display the OBD code(s) on the odometer?

(The procedure is different depending on the model years)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This video shows how to read the code or codes on the odometer for 2002 to 2005 KJ's
You can fast forward to the 30 second mark...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good video shown above!

One weird thing is that on my 2002 Export CRD I have to do 4 rapid ON/OFF actions to the ignition ON position and on the 4th action leave it ON.

Seems to be an Export Jeep factor as members in Australia have to do the same actions as I do.

Some facts with this Key Trick are:

The code only gets stored once so although you may have constant occurances of this code happing you will only see it once.

The codes display in order from the oldest to the newest and after that the odometer reading displays.

There have been warnings that sometimes the last two digits of the code are transposed..not a problem if this code does not exist but a big waste of time if this incorrect code does actually exist in your list.

You cannot erase the codes. I see that USA owners can seem to clear codes by disconnecting the battery for a day with the positive battery lead moved over to touch the chassis but this has never worked on my Export model.

I have used this action many times on my 17 year old Lady with great success...on long trips I make sure I have my Laptop on board with me with all the documentation loaded!:)

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your link says to turn the key to ACC.

This video (
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
(for the same model and year) says to turn the key to ON.

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a 2004 Jeep Liberty, the CORRECT procedure is:

Turn the key from OFF to ON/RUN and back to OFF.
Do this quickly 3 times (if you delay, it won't work).
After the third time, the engine code(s) is/are displayed on the odometer