OBD code P1261

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmcbee5

Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD that recently threw a code P1261. Looked it up and found that the code means Cylinder #1 High side short or something like that. Also found that this may need to be pulled with a starscan. People have said that code P1263 (pulled with OBD meaning Cylinder #3 high side short) actually means a bad glow plug in Cylinder #2 when pulled with a starscan. Any help would be appreciated! Throwing down $95 for 2 minutes of work to plug in a Starscan seems high to me.

On another note if this is a glow plug issue, has anyone replaced these before on the VM. I can't find any info or pics on changing these. When one GP goes bad is it suggested to replace all the GPs or just the bad one. I am at 42,000 right now and figured they would hold out longer than this.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my crd just threw the same code. living in az, not sure if i will do anything about it till i drive some place cold =p

mule4x4

Reaction score
Have an appointment at the dealership next week will re-post with what they find!
Just wondering what you did to solve this issue. I have 149M on my 05 CRD and have had my Liberty to the original dealer plus 2 independent shops ...and I left all of them with the techs scratching their heads. I have zero starting issues and everything works fine ...but i keep throwing this code. I was even told by the last place to "put some tape over the check engine light' and forget about it! Would changing out the glow plugs solve the problem? Like I said, nothing adds up because I have no issues ...starts right up normally up here in Wisconsin even with temps around zero! The constant light must mean something is wrong and it drives me crazy! Thanks for any input.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The original 7 volt ceramic glow plugs have a tendency to break the tip off which rattles around amongst the valves and piston ruining your day and possibly your engine.

You can replace them with 7 volt steel glow plugs. The dealer solution is to replace them with 5 volt metal glow plugs which need a different controller as well.

Etechno makes them and ID Parts sells them.

Or... put some tape over the light and wait for the engine to go off.

mule4x4

Reaction score
The original 7 volt ceramic glow plugs have a tendency to break the tip off which rattles around amongst the valves and piston ruining your day and possibly your engine.

You can replace them with 7 volt steel glow plugs. The dealer solution is to replace them with 5 volt metal glow plugs which need a different controller as well.

Etechno makes them and ID Parts sells them.

Or... put some tape over the light and wait for the engine to go off.
Just had to tell you that I have ordered 4 new Glow Plugs for my CRD ...no one had told me anything about the tip of the plug breaking off ...I like my CRD too much to let this go ...and "putting tape over the dash light" was never an option for me! In fact, I thought it was kind of stupid for the this mechanic to even say it to me! I would have rather been told that he just didn't know for sure what the problem was ...hoping new glow plugs solves the problem. Should I anticipate any issues when replacing them? I was told that there is a chance the threads can strip..? Thanks...

mule4x4

Reaction score
One more question ...what about the Glow Plug Control Module ...I read that it should aslo be replaced with the Glow Plugs..