NP 231 Transfer Cable Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty Renegade

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade, 3.7L Engine with the NP 231 Command Trak transfer case (Part time 4 WD). I had issues with the transfer case not shifting and the case popped out like 2 times when i tried shifting. Never bothered about it later and since i never needed the 4 WD in summer.

Took a look underneath and the Grommet / Bushing holding the cable eye to the transfer case selector plate pin is shredded. I am having a hard time finding the replacement part or the cable assembly.

Any ideas, suggestions or part reference is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anoop

Liberty Renegade

Reaction score
Solved

Thanks for the reply, That part, thought shown for the NP231 case, does not fit. Its meant only for the wranglers.

Finally found the exact match. Other Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge owners will find it useful too, since all these brands make you change the entire cable instead of the bushing alone.

Doorman part 14044 - Shift cable bushing
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-23718-14044.aspx

$9 part as opposed to $270 cable.

Pass on the word, for not much people know about this.

hodgesjl

Reaction score
When I check fit for this part, it only let's me select for manual transmission and mine is automatic. Is there o e for AT?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a wheeling trip where I couldn't shift out of 4LO, and my bushing was just GONE. The cable and control arm on the case are just fine though. Weird. Wonder if it came off in the underbrush, or if it's been missing for a while.

Thanks for the part #, I'm going to pick mine up later this afternoon.