NooB with a trans. question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first Mopar product since my wife's 95 Neon. (what a POS) I vowed to myself to never own another Chrysler product, but she fell in love with the Liberty. So far, I'm liking it too but the transmission seems noisy. Shifting from Park to Drive, it clunks, and does the same from Drive to Park. There also seems to be a whine that is present in all gears as the ****** is winding up and down. These problems don't seem common to automatics. I looked at the poll and there are a lot of autos on here, so I'm very curious.

Mike

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '04 AT, which I know has a different trans then your '02. It is as quiet as a church mouse.

Has it always been that way, or did you buy it used?

styng88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought it used with 29K on it, and it has always done it. I'm thinking of taking it in before the 3/36 runs out.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes the clunking noise, always has. However, it does not make any type of whining noise at all.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clunking noises are pretty normal it seems. The jeep uses solenoids to work with the auto trans, so thats what you're hearing.

-Blu

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
clunks are normal...as for the whinning sound, does it sound like, a buzz of some sort....hard to explain, but it happens when u shift or when ur like slowing to a stop?...

if yes...then u've heard the infamous chrysler ****** buzz....next time u see a caravan or any DC vehicle with a v6 (or higher...i guess).....and u'll hear that buzz....

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tokyojoe1965 said:
If it sounds like a low growling sound then it is your Jeep Libby on the Prowl! Nothing more.

LOL, this is an interesting take on the issue =D>

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was on the engine sound. On the clunking sound, STOP THE LIBBY BEFORE YOU SHIFT FROM REV TO FWD and Vice Versa! LOL!

Actually, I have had a clunk here and there, especially after having shifted from 2WD to 4WD (usually after I drove, parked, and then backed up from a parking space).

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the clunking is normal on the 02s and 03s. I thought that they changed the transmission on the 04s. I could be wrong, but that maybe why there is less clunking in the newer models.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yoda13 said:
I think the clunking is normal on the 02s and 03s. I thought that they changed the transmission on the 04s. I could be wrong, but that maybe why there is less clunking in the newer models.

well, the ones with the new ******, the main clunking you'll hear are any owners that had a KJ with the 45's stomping their foot with frustration with the 42's.....(I beleive clint hate's the 42's with a passion!) :-s

summitpierce

Reaction score
Mine whines too

I have a 2004 Sport, and it makes the whine at just about any speed, too. At low speeds and highway speeds, it's not really noticable unless you listen for it, but if you're at between 40-50mph it can get a little loud. It's not obnoxious, just not completely silent. I was thinking this was just normal trans noise, but I was also considering checking with the dealership to make sure it's normal.

The whine is hard to describe - kind of like a VERY subdued power steering pump sound, but it goes up and down with speed and with the gearing changes. I personally don't think anything is wrong, but it's the kind of sound I'd only expect to hear in older vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online