Noisy Front Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just had my Jeep Frankenlifted and, for the most part, have been very happy. I noticed, however, there there is a LOT of noisy coming from the front suspension. It sounds like thunking and bumping when I'm driving down the road. It seems that its most at higher speeds. Is this normal?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going over any bumps? Could be the upper ball joint hitting something, which isnt good. Has it settled yet? It usually will not unless you take it offroad and flex it really good. O:)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like some upper ball joint contact with the springs.

Put a jack under the front and let the front suspension droop and take a look.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was really afraid of. We're seriously considering returning it to stock and seeing if All Js will buy the kit back. So far, we've had three different places say we should be VERY concerned about the CV angle and it is becoming increasingly noisy. Unfortunately, we just got back from CA and they didnt give us the stock springs we had, so we may have to go back to CA. ](*,) I really wanted a kit that I could lift and forget about it, but it seems like no mods on this thing go easily.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Thats what I was really afraid of. We're seriously considering returning it to stock and seeing if All Js will buy the kit back. So far, we've had three different places say we should be VERY concerned about the CV angle and it is becoming increasingly noisy. Unfortunately, we just got back from CA and they didnt give us the stock springs we had, so we may have to go back to CA. ](*,) I really wanted a kit that I could lift and forget about it, but it seems like no mods on this thing go easily.

Didnt give you the stock springs you had? Did you return it already? I told ya youve got to wait for the suspension to settle and it WILL NOT until you take it offroad and flex it! :-s They will continue to look like that until you let it settle. O:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, but it's got about 1200 miles on the lift now and its getting noisier. It almost seems like its settling onto the ball joints.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:

I was tentative to post this due to some strong feelings, but here it is anyways.

I've installed 3 frankenlifts and 3 rustys lifts. If you are looking to just set it and forget then Rusty's is the way to go. Every Frankenlift has had problems. Too high, UBJ contact, etc. Only thing that was every a problem with Rusty's was some noisy rear shocks which is easily fixed by an upgrade to the Rancho RSX 17004. Plus Rusty's is almost half the price.

Frankenlift is a good lift, but they really need to address a few issues before they sell it to the average user. It works, but you have to be willing to tweak it and adjust it to make sure it works correctly for you. You have to be mechanically inclined and willing to make other modification for it to work properly

Here is a list of suggestion that I think would fix their issues.
  • They need to include new upper control arms to make sure UBJ contact is not a problem.
  • It has a tendency to sit a little high for lightly modified Jeeps. Maybe if they just used Medium duty springs in the front it would fix the problem. Offer HD springs for people if they run a front bumper
  • The front usually sits considerably higher than the rear. The above suggestion should help a little. Also they need to include an extra 1/2" spacer in the rear to help with the height discrepancy between the front and rear.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I have serious problems with anything that is a hodge-podge of parts. None were designed to work together, and things like this happen.

Eddo, well said. I skip past every thread I see with "Frankenlift problems..." or something of the sort. It's a pain to read.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
I have serious problems with anything that is a hodge-podge of parts. None were designed to work together, and things like this happen.

Eddo, well said. I skip past every thread I see with "Frankenlift problems..." or something of the sort. It's a pain to read.

They are designed to work together. its just a spring and a spacer. The only thing that gives the Upper balljoint contact is the different upper strut plate..

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I wish I had gotten this kind of feedback two weeks ago and with all the research I've been doing, especially over on LOST. sad2.gif

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Wow. I wish I had gotten this kind of feedback two weeks ago and with all the research I've been doing, especially over on LOST. sad2.gif

It will be fine dude. I know the feeling all to well.. ***** when you get stuff and you feel like it didnt work out the way you wanted it to.. If you can return it to All J's and get a full refund, I probably would since you are not happy.

Ive looked at Eddos' and mooses' cv angles personally and they look just fine. If you take the sway bar off and flex the front end ALOT, it will settle and be just fine. O:)

Even Eddo was unsure about the angles when he first put the lift on... O:)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, both me and moose have modified our Frankenlifts. I've lowered mine and Moose had to add bumpstop to fix the UBJ problem.

For being a kit sold to average users it shouldn't have these problems. Alot of people do not know where to start or look for these problems. They maybe relatively minor to someone that wrenchs on their Jeep regularly, but to some they are a big deal. If you know what to look for and how to correct the issues, they are minor. But some people do not have a garage, the tools, or knowledge to correct these issues.

That is why I would recommend Rustys to someone that wants a set it and forget it kit. I believe the Frankenlift uses better parts, but issues need to be addressed. If you don't mind tinkering with your Jeep the Frankenlift is a great kit.

DesertKJ you can still salvage the issue.
  • First, you need to check to ensure the lower extension bumpstop is still in place. When I first got my Frankenlift it was not held on very tightly and slid off. Luckily, I caught it in time and was able to patch up the UBJ boot.
  • Second, it will settle some but not THAT much. Maybe 1/2". However, your CVs and boots are more resilient that most people thing and will take a beating. If you are still not happy with the height, you can disassemble the strut and shave some of the spacer down. If you have the rancho struts you can slide the clevis up past the lift and loose about 1/2" of lift.
  • Third, if you are not happy with the front and rear height discrepancy you can add an extra upper rear spring isolator. They cost $10 a piece at the dealer. You will need two, one for each side.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna call All Js tomorrow and see if they will do a refund. It *****, but with college coming up, I dont want to have such a strong possibility of neverending repairs on my daily driver. I just dont have that kind of funds right now. It looks cool and will look weird lowered, but oh well I'd rather not drive myself into debt over a Jeep which was running fine in the first place.

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:

You'll get more honest feedback with less bias here. And it doesn't take much research to learn that Rusty's Lift rules! \:D/ A virtually problem free lift that can be easily built upon. I love mine and would recommend it if you get your money back.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this thread is great!! It just looks that the Frankenlift and Rustys are the favored lifts. As a non mechanical guy (willing to get mechanical) I found that I started on the right foot (BDS lift kit). However, I am now obtaining my own garage, going to have my own tools, and will have the time to learn and tweak with the Jeep. I am anticipating in buying the Frankenlift next year.

DesertKJ:
The best to you and if you can return it that would be the best choice for now. If your not in the zone to constantly tweak your Jeep, and its your daily driver, returning it to stock may be the best idea. My Jeep is my daily driver and I also never had anywhere or anyone to tinker with mine. I fortunately grabbed a decent lift and had a shop install it. They had it back a couple times for some noises and such but they jumped under it and corrected it. I then had some time to install some new shocks/struts and A-arms because the opportunity arise (step father was interested to help and he's a 18 year retired mechanic).

So to sum it up your decision will be best for you. Good luck and I hope you do put a lift back on if you take it down.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Right now, All Js had offered to buy it back if we are not happy and return it back to stock with a full refund. I am gonna wait a week and see what happens.