No reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XMS02KJ

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I have a bad problem with my reverse gear. I've checked my fluid and it's fine. When I go in reverse on a flat surface, for me to back up, I need to hold the gas to about 3600 for it to move at like an inch. But when I'm on a hill it won't back up at all. My other gears work perfectly and I have no issues driving in roads in drive. No slipping or anything. Do you guys have any ideas? Or should I bring it to a shop?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does PARK work properly?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would research a reputable transmission shop that will actually diagnose the issue and not just say "rebuild it" (which might actually be the best option, but investigate first). I'm thinking it's either the solenoid pack or the reverse clutch is shot. As part of the diagnostic they should drop the pan and look at the fluid, as well as scan for codes and check the CVI indices. (Clutch Value Index - basically says how much life is left in each transmission clutch). Are you getting a check engine light with the P0700 code (general transmission fault)? If not, then it's a mechanical issue.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
XMS02KJ - There normally is a slight delay when you put the Jeep into reverse and you can generally hear the switch/whine noise as it shifts into reverse, do you hear this when u put it into reverse?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming (based on the OP's name) it's an 02. So the old 45rfe.

The 45rfe in my 02 made a whole lot of electronical noise when changing the selector position. Like LibertyTC asked, does it buzz when you shift it?

XMS02KJ

Reaction score
It does not make a whine when it shifts into reverse and I haven't put a scanner on it because there is no check engine light. But there is a very reputable transmission shop around where I live and I will look into it. Thank you guys. P.s. yes it is an 02 liberty limited

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Difference between engine codes & trans codes. Snap On ultra scanner or dealer star scan is needed to see the stored trans codes.
Post back once you hear what's up from the reputable transmission shop please.

XMS02KJ

Reaction score
I called him and he said to go to AutoZone but when I went there, their scanner couldn't find anything so I can't scan it unless I have a scanner that's like 2 or 300$. So I think I'm going to bring it by the transmission shop sometime soon. And I'll let you guys know as soon as possible.

XMS02KJ

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't been active lately but I recently bought a scanner and I have the following codes
P0720 output speed sensor circuit
P0731 gear ratio error in 1st
P0736 gear ratio error in reverse
P1790 daily immediately after shift
I'm going to call my transmission guy Monday so we can figure it out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd want to replace the Mopar 45EFE output speed sensor first, and see how it reacts then.
They can then clear and double check for existing or remaining codes, and see if the reverse works then.