No low beam lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beresford

Reaction score
hello to all just joined. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty sport 4x4!
All lights work and function as they should except for low beams.
Garage I sent it to said could be light control module. What is it and where is it?
I have a manual and have looked on line but cannot find this elusive part.
All suggestions welcome.
Paul

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be the steering column mounted switch used to go from hi to low beam.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There are two different turn signal stalks, that also activate high/low beams.
A Standard is for use with a jeep without fog lights, and the other for use with fog lights.
The fog light one's end cap pulls outward, and has the fog symbol on it.
The low beam relay could be the cause of having no low beams and it is located in the JB Junction block.
Apparently there is a fuse that receives consistent power as well in power distribution center. The relay can be tested, referring to the factory service manual.
See # 3 IN IMAGE BELOW.
54115[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Check fuse & relay first. Low beam fuses are inside fuse panel left kick panel, position #4 and #5 -10 Amp Red Headlight One for left & one for right headlight.
Try a new relay and see if that works first.
Disconnect battery ground and isolate it before removing the relay.

Attachments

• Junction%20Box%20Jeep%20KJ.jpg
    Junction%20Box%20Jeep%20KJ.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Beresford

Reaction score
I have checked all fuses and relays all good also have a2005 donor jeep swapped relays to be sure no change. Can I switch out steering column switch? Guess that's my next move.

Beresford

Reaction score
Anybody changed the switch? M
Nothing in the manual and nothing on you tube.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Test for voltage at connectors, with lights turned on?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont need both. You could adjust the angle of the beam. I raised my beam everyone thinks i have my brights on till i flip the brights on. Then there like oh sorry for not understanding im in a little car and your headlights are where my head is. So if you just lower the beam towards the road more. People wont be acting like they act with me all the time.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the LOW Beam Relay located on the rear of the the internal Fuse panel....re-check the fuses on the internal fuse panel...one fuse is for High beams and the other is for Low beams...fuses 4 and 5.

There is no such thing as a Light Control Module although the BCM...on rear of fuse panel......does supply ground to pin 86 of the Low Beam Relay...try re-plugging the connector JB on the BCM and try apply a seperate ground to pin 86 of the Low Beam Relay temporarily....you do not want High and Low beams on at the same time!

Check you have grounds on your Low beams...the USA models are different to my Export model!

You can download the 2005 Service Manual here...includes circuit diagrams:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

Beresford

Reaction score
I have power to the connectors. All bulbs are new. I have even swapped all parts with donor jeep. The lights work in donor jeep but not this one. I have been told it's the headlight control module by the garage I use but I don't know what or where it is and that mechanic is on vacation. My high beams work fine and that's what I am using to get around in the dark. It won't pass inspection this way though.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test for voltage at connectors, with lights turned on?

long shot but are the light bulbs new?

I hadn't asked because I'd expect anyone to check voltage at bulb with lights on, but have you?? One bulb can go out, then second before you've noticed the first. TWO bad bulbs, stranger things have happened. :emotions34:

Bob

Beresford

Reaction score
Voltage at connector is good for low beams then when I switch to high beams voltage is good there also. Checked ground to connector also good.

Beresford

Reaction score
The connector the bulbs plug into. The relay is good switched the one from donor jeep and still the same. I put my relay in donor jeep and all lights work in donor jeep. I do hear a click when I turn the switch not sure if it's switch or relay making the sound

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to check the circuit diagram from the link I posted above.

There are two relays...High Beam on the front of the internal fuse panel and Low Beam on the rear of the panel.

The BCM supplies ground to pin 86 of the Low Beam relay to energize that relay to switch on the Low Beams....the BCM makes the decision to energize the Low Beam relay when it is sure that the High Beam relay is not energized.

The ground is common to both the High filament and the Low filament...the best thing to do is to strap a thin sewing needle onto the Red lead of your voltmeter and press that into the rear of the bulb socket. Then with reference to ground you should see the +12 volts shift between the Low Beam connector and the High beam connector...wiring diagram will show you the correct wire colors.

If you get voltage there but the Low Beams do not light up then the bulb connectors must be bad...swap them over with the donor vehicle...cut the wires and join and insulate them.