wtf........no key for my spare tire lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now i cant get my spare tire mount off to finish sanding! it wasnt with the jack or in the glove box. is there a way to get it off without the key? will autozone take it off? i dont care if it is locked on; i just need to get the rack off and store the spare in the back until the paint project is fixed

khakilibby07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Go to the Jeep dealer and they will take the lock off and put a regular lug on it free of charge. Hope that helps! :) Good Luck!!!

07KJ#20

Reaction score
At the shop I worked at we would take a thin wall socket that was one size smaller and hammer it onto the lug and slowly rotate it off. If it was being stubborn (likely..) then give it a shot of penetrating lube and try again, this way it does not damage the stud.. Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Check again

In the owners manual it says the key is in the glove box...it wasn't there. So after an extensive search of our jeep we were able to find the spare tire lug nut key in the "trunk" (if you can call it that) in that little space with a net over it.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like when my dad lost my key after he was helping me and tightened down my wheels. You can buy a tool at napa that will take it off. Or jam on a socket like some said. I've also heard of people welding on a regular lug and then taking the whole thing off if you have the capability. I just brought it to a guy I know at my local shop and they just took them off for me...unfortunately the new set I bought only came with 4 locks...so now I need to try to have a 5th one sent to me, or buy the mopar set for like $40

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope he got it off .. it's been a year and a half ....lol

Either that, or he is still wrestling with it.......:smokin:

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We tried hammering a socket onto the McGuard locknuts, but in our case the locknuts had a free spinning hardened collar surrounding the actual locknut and there was no hope in hell the socket trick worked!
All it did was spin the collar and not the locknut.
All this because the tire guy used an impact gun to tighten the locknut and subsequently stripped the lock "key"!
What a drama. In the bush with two tires that blew their beads!
Real fun trying to re-bead tires when they are still on the vehicle.
I hope the socket trick works for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online