No heat drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zpinkham

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new member here. I’ve been dealing with lack of heat on the drivers side since first turning my heat on in my 12’ (pos) Liberty. Here are the details. A few years ago I noticed not getting heat on the floor vents of my drivers side but had it on passenger side. Had a leaking heater core about a year and a half ago which I replaced and gave me heat on the drivers side for one winter. This past fall I noticed significant decrease in heat on the drivers side to practically nothing. Depending on outside temp I’d get either cold (outdoor temps below 25 degrees, or lukewarm during cool mild temps. Noticed coolant was reduced so I addded more. Water pump went and replaced. I’ve burped the system multiple times still nothing on drivers side. I saw a lot about blend doors and actuators but noticed that my gear under the dash still moves when switching from hot/cold. Both hoses are hot connecting into firewall and have no reduction in coolant since replacing the water pump. Like I said everything is normal on the passenger side but cold on the one vent left of steering wheel as well as defroster(drivers side) and floor(drivers side). The only thing I can think of is a clogged core but it’s barely a year old so I’d think that may not be the issue. Any good suggestions before I drive this POS off a cliff? Trying to diagnose and maybe solve myself because I’m tired of dumping money into this shit box.

Thanks,

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious= I think the KK has cabin air filters, behind glove Box? Can you check to make everything is clean & not plugged up..

maantoline

Reaction score
i have a 2010 liberty with 85k. i took my cabin filters out years ago. useless in my opinion. i also have battled with no heat on my drivers side. everything in my jeep worked fine. all doors, actuators, and both hoses would get hot. tried a flush with just water didn’t do anything. also burped with no luck. i bought a radiator flush by prestone and flushed only heater core with it. i used a bucket, some hose, and a pump to reverse flush the core. i let it set in the core for a few hours. then flush some more. i did that few times through out the day. flushed all out with water and even hooked back up backwards. so it flows in reverse the whole time. my heat is so hot now it’s hard to hold your hand in front of the vent for to long. in the spring i’m gonna flush my whole system with prestone radiator flush and replace with new coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good Job! I am glad to hear that a core flush did the trick, and heat is restored.
The jeeps are also specific as to the coolant required. Please use HOAT or Zerex G05 Only.

Zpinkham

Reaction score
Curious= I think the KK has cabin air filters, behind glove Box? Can you check to make everything is clean & not plugged up..

I just replaced the filters a week or two ago, still no heat, actuators all turn and shift air flow but not heat on drivers side still. I read somewhere that while my actuator is working and turning the gear, the part that connects to the heat box may be broken, I’m going to pull the shield off this weekend exposing the gears and see what’s up

Zpinkham

Reaction score
I’m doubtful it’s a clogged heater core for me tho, just had it replaced a year ago and flushed. Both my in and out hoses are hot

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya it is starting to sound like a directional, door issue, post back what you find please.

maantoline

Reaction score
in my investigation of my heat loss i also purchased a endoscopy camera from amazon pretty cheap. i used it look down in the air box and make sure all the doors were working properly. also to make sure a mouse or small rodent had made a nest around the heater core. the camera worked great. all doors functioned properly and core was clean and clear. that is another option for you if you’d like to try that. i took the radio out and the duct for the two center vents so i could see into the air box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk