No Bus Message When Scanner Hooked Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GScan

Reaction score
'05 KJ 3.7L V6 with 89k miles on it.

CEL came on after two weeks of not driving and odometer said P0157.

Ok, bank 2,2 O2 sensor. Not a huge issue but I wanted more detail so I bought a Scan Tool. I also wanted the tool to clear the code after putting in the new sensor before starting the engine (my Chilton manual says to, not sure how important it is). I hook up the scanner, it starts connecting, my odometer changes to "no bus", and halfway through the scanner fails to link! Scanner works on my other vehicles just fine.

Took the Liberty up to O'Reillys to see if their scanner worked. It did but it gave Error code 4 which was along the lines of "no bus short to battery" and it gave code P0157.

Anyone have any experience with the "no bus short to battery" error? Does this have to do with a fuse? I looked over the wiring I could see, didn't see any damage. O2 sensor wiring looks good. I'm stuck!

GScan

Reaction score
Looked at the back of the OBDII and all wires seemed to be in good shape. Will have to remove the panels and dig deeper to see if anything behind the dash is damaged.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
No -Bus means...NO I need the vehicle & don't want to take the bus! lol..
Is the battery fully charged- Volt reading in the AM is?
Clean terminals free of corrosion & tight?
Try removing both terminals with nothing running or connected to OBD2 port
Tape both terminals together for a few minutes, then reconnect to battery. (will clear most codes)
Then Try reading with OBD2 scanner again with key to on but engine not running ...
That may re-set things...and read without no bus message.

GScan

Reaction score
No -Bus means...NO I need the vehicle & don't want to take the bus! lol..
Is the battery fully charged- Volt reading in the AM is?
Clean terminals free of corrosion & tight?
Try removing both terminals with nothing running or connected to OBD2 port
Tape both terminals together for a few minutes, then reconnect to battery. (will clear most codes)
Then Try reading with OBD2 scanner again with key to on but engine not running ...
That may re-set things...and read without no bus message.

lol I took the bus for years in Chicago. Now I'd rather drive my Jeep!

Terminals fully clean and greased to prevent corrosion.

Took them off and zip tied them together a day ago when I started to change the O2 sensor out. Sensor wouldn't budge so I put them back on until I had more time to work on it.

That cleared the P0157 code but I didn't retry the scanner yet to see if it got rid of the No Bus error. I'll check the voltage while I'm at it. Thanks!